* Re: [9fans] Raw Input Driver
@ 2009-03-20 14:22 Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-03-20 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Yes, you split the application. UI
elements are kept at the terminal and
the application at the CPU server. The  input event generator knows
what's
the input, but it runs at the terminal.
The only problem is to come up with a
widget abstract and generic enough.

El 20/03/2009, a las 14:07, rogpeppe@gmail.com escribió:

> 2009/3/20 Charles Forsyth <forsyth@terzarima.net>:
>> in the slow-network situation the thing you're responding to on the
>> display
>> might not be accurate (eg, feedback delayed) which low-level input
>> merging
>> won't address.
>
> true, but that's something that's relatively easy for the user
> to adjust to - most actions have an easily perceived visual
> result, and if that hasn't happened, i won't initiate my
> next action.
>
> in fact it's a problem with any slow-responding UI,
> which is where nemo's point about splitting things up
> at a higher level comes in. and that's what (in an extremely
> clunky way) the AJAX thing is all about too.
>
> the problem with choosing a higher level of abstraction is that
> the input event generators can't in general be agnostic about
> what the mouse/keyboard/whatever are operating on,
> so you end up with a smart client or split application,
> which lack the same easy composability that you get
> from plan 9's remote devices.
>
> [/mail/box/nemo/msgs/200903/36582]

* Re: [9fans] Raw Input Driver
@ 2009-03-20 14:46 Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-03-20 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

But I think we have those widgets.
For most (all?) cases.

El 20/03/2009, a las 15:33, rogpeppe@gmail.com escribió:

> 2009/3/20 Francisco J Ballesteros <nemo@lsub.org>:
>> Yes, you split the application. UI
>> elements are kept at the terminal and
>> the application at the CPU server. The  input event generator knows
>> what's
>> the input, but it runs at the terminal.
>> The only problem is to come up with a
>> widget abstract and generic enough.
>
> precisely.
>
> [/mail/box/nemo/msgs/200903/36591]

* Re: [9fans] Raw Input Driver
@ 2009-03-20 14:35 Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-03-20 14:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think it's possible. We have different apps.

El 20/03/2009, a las 15:30, rogpeppe@gmail.com escribió:

> 2009/3/20 Francisco J Ballesteros <nemo@lsub.org>:
>> El 20/03/2009, a las 14:07, rogpeppe@gmail.com escribió:
>>> so you end up with a smart client or split application,
>>> which lack the same easy composability that you get
>>> from plan 9's remote devices.
>
> perhaps i should have written "generality and easy composability"
> there. i'm sure it's possible to make easily composable applications
> with other metaphors (octupus being one example) but is it
> possible to do so without making some strong assumptions
> about the user-interaction model of the application?
>
> [/mail/box/nemo/msgs/200903/36590]

* Re: [9fans] Raw Input Driver
@ 2009-03-20 14:18 Francisco J Ballesteros
From: Francisco J Ballesteros @ 2009-03-20 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans; +Cc: 9fans

El 20/03/2009, a las 14:07, rogpeppe@gmail.com escribió:

> 2009/3/20 Charles Forsyth <forsyth@terzarima.net>:
>> in the slow-network situation the thing you're responding to on the
>> display
>> might not be accurate (eg, feedback delayed) which low-level input
>> merging
>> won't address.
>
> true, but that's something that's relatively easy for the user
> to adjust to - most actions have an easily perceived visual
> result, and if that hasn't happened, i won't initiate my
> next action.
>
> in fact it's a problem with any slow-responding UI,
> which is where nemo's point about splitting things up
> at a higher level comes in. and that's what (in an extremely
> clunky way) the AJAX thing is all about too.
>
> the problem with choosing a higher level of abstraction is that
> the input event generators can't in general be agnostic about
> what the mouse/keyboard/whatever are operating on,
> so you end up with a smart client or split application,
> which lack the same easy composability that you get
> from plan 9's remote devices.
>
> [/mail/box/nemo/msgs/200903/36582]

* [9fans] Raw Input Driver
@ 2009-03-20  7:00 James Tomaschke
From: James Tomaschke @ 2009-03-20  7:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Greetings all,

I have created a very simple input driver that interleaves keyboard and
mouse events for an "interactive" program I am working on.  I have tried
to keep it as simple as possible, just a single callback in pc/kbd.c and
port/devmouse.c.

The only goal I had was to capture keys like shift and press/release
events while keeping them in order with mouse events which is working great.

CONS(3) states:
If the string rawon has been written to the consctl file and file is
still open, cons is in rawmode.

Yet I have not had much luck here, the only way I have been able to
prevent echoing has been to use the event library einit(Ekeyboard). So I
have duplicated the code from libdraw/event.c yet it still does not
work.  Any ideas on what I am missing?

Regards,
/james