From: roger peppe <rogpeppe@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@9fans.net>
Subject: Re: [9fans] just in case anyone has written this
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2009 16:17:02 +0100	[thread overview]

2009/4/28 ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com>:
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 2:05 AM, roger peppe <rogpeppe@gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/4/28 ron minnich <rminnich@gmail.com>:
>>> On the inbound side, I need it to merge lines so that, e.g., a line from
>>> 11.1.1.1 and 11.1.1.2 if same, gets printed as
>>> 1-2: Mon may 8 2011
>>
>> if you do this, then presumably you can't print a line
>> from any source until you've got a line from all of them.
>> is that what you want? or does the merging apply only
>> to lines received within some time interval of each other?
>
> you have to have a timeout (which I do) since nodes can always fail or
> not talk to you

if one node is just slow enough in responding that it
falls outside the timeout, you could get an annoying situation
where that node is out-of-step forever after. i guess it depends
how often incoming lines arrive. if it's an interactive
session, i guess it might not matter too much - i can see
how this might be useful controlling many shell
sessions at once. you could make things more reliable by
tagging requests and replies, but even then there's the
question of what to do when sessions diverge (assuming
that's what you're doing). interesting.