* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 doesn't boot on a (fairly new) computer
       [not found] <<3aaafc130911231227x377ef04fr23170a73ce3f72f1@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-11-23 20:47 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-11-23 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The Plan 9 and 9atom liveCDs have the same problem: when the `root is
> from' prompt appears,
> nothing happens and the keyboard does not work. The keyboard is not
> usb and no usb devices
> are plugged in. Both liveCDs apparently have nomp set, as only one cpu
> is detected.
>
> I had to change the `boot from' option on the vanilla Plan 9 CD,
> because my motherboard/BIOS
> does not let me have IDE drives as secondary master. 9atom seemed to
> handle this better, but
> both get stuck at the `root is from' prompt. Someone suggested Plan9
> may not like the southbridge
> on this motherboard (an AMD SB710).
>
> Any ideas?

is there a legacy usb option in bios?  if there is, i would
turn that off.  also, could you send me the output of
pci or lspci offline.  i'd like to double check the southbridge
and the ahci/ide dids.  i suspect that's the problem.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 doesn't boot on a (fairly new) computer
@ 2010-07-17 23:26     ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2010-07-17 23:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, Jul 17, 2010 at 4:08 PM, EBo <ebo@sandien.com> wrote:

> from what I understand no (and I am sure others will correct me if I am
> wrong).  What I can say definitively is that Plan 9 will run on a 64-bit
> machine when compiled in 32-bit mode.  My primary machine has a AMD Phenom
> II X4.  It is one of those cheap Gateway machines, which unfortunately do
> not give you lots of details of what is under the hood (and I might not
> have bought it for that if I had fully know up front).  So the good news is
> that you can probably get it to work.  The best place to start looking it
> look at Erik's 9atom boot disk and you might have to play around with the
> SATA/IDE settings (which on my bios caused lots of problems).  The should
> be a hundred or so posts in the archives dealing with 64-bit machines and
> booting with 9atom.
>
>  Hope that helps.

Thanks.

I was just curious; I heard there was some 64-bit support in the works.

Best,
ak

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 doesn't boot on a (fairly new) computer
@ 2010-07-17 23:08   ` EBo
From: EBo @ 2010-07-17 23:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Sat, 17 Jul 2010 13:00:32 -0700, Akshat Kumar
<akumar@mail.nanosouffle.net> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Jorden Mauro <jrm8005@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Here's the hardware:
>>
>> AMD Athlon II X2 245 (64-bit dual core)
>> Gigabyte GA-MA785GM-US2H motherboard
>> One 1.5Tb SATA hard drive, old IDE cdrom
>
> Is there any 64-bit supported Plan 9 kernel?

from what I understand no (and I am sure others will correct me if I am
wrong).  What I can say definitively is that Plan 9 will run on a 64-bit
machine when compiled in 32-bit mode.  My primary machine has a AMD Phenom
II X4.  It is one of those cheap Gateway machines, which unfortunately do
not give you lots of details of what is under the hood (and I might not
have bought it for that if I had fully know up front).  So the good news is
that you can probably get it to work.  The best place to start looking it
look at Erik's 9atom boot disk and you might have to play around with the
SATA/IDE settings (which on my bios caused lots of problems).  The should
be a hundred or so posts in the archives dealing with 64-bit machines and
booting with 9atom.

  Hope that helps.

  EBo --

* Re: [9fans] Plan 9 doesn't boot on a (fairly new) computer
@ 2010-07-17 20:00 ` Akshat Kumar
From: Akshat Kumar @ 2010-07-17 20:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

@ 2009-11-23 20:27 Jorden Mauro