* [9fans] Plan 9 Foundation
@ 2021-02-10  7:40 Anthony Sorace
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2021-02-10  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We are pleased to announce the creation of the Plan 9 Foundation.

The Foundation exists to promote and further the development of Plan 9 and related technologies for lightweight distributed systems.

More information can be found on our web site, http://p9f.org/. We've also brought up a new wiki, reachable on the web at http://p9f.org/wiki/welcome/ or over 9p at tcp!p9f.org!wiki.

As our first major activity, the Plan 9 Foundation will be coordinating Plan 9's application to (and, should we be accepted, participation in) Google's Summer of Code. That includes hosting the all-important Ideas Page for this year, as well as other supporting documentation; more on that in a separate email.

We'll also be coordinating the return of the International Workshop on Plan 9. Last year's efforts to bring IWP9 back were a big part of what led to the creation of the Foundation. It's still not clear when we'll be able to have an in-person conference responsibly, but we're eager to get there.

We want to make Plan 9 and all that surrounds it stronger, more accessible, and more useful for all. We know there's plenty going on already and we want to be clear that we're excited about that. We hope to add to that, provide some additional resources, and improve things for everyone using Plan 9 technology in their projects.

We're still getting started and have quite a bit to do before everything is running smoothly, but we're really excited for what the year's going to bring. 2021 is going to be great for Glenda.

Thank you for your time,

Geoff Collier
David du Colombier
Charles Forsyth