* Re: ASN.1 (Was: [9fans] More 'Sam I am')
@ 2006-02-11 14:38 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-11 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i worked on a project for years that used a format equivalent
to XML or ASN.1, but we thought simplier.

naming the entities presented no efficiency problems for us.
i spent 6 months in several stints profiling that system
and for a 10k result set, the tcp overhead was greater than
the packing and unpacking overhead, but neither represented
1% of the runtime of any end-to-end process that i looked at.

with the exception of word processors, web browsers, and maybe gcc
i do not agree with your corollary to moore's law. 15 years ago
i was stuck with sun 160s and vaxen. 10 years ago i had a
ibm rs/6000 41t and a 66mhz pentium II. i'm still not up-to-date,
but by all my performance metrics, the 997mhz system i
use now is *way* faster. i've even got a better internet
connection via dialup than the sun/vax setup did in the late 80s.

- erik

@ 2006-02-11 20:10 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-11 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sat Feb 11 13:54:32 CST 2006, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:

> > all i'm saying is that it is not true that using a computer is now
> > slower than it used to be.
> >
> Yes it is.  Just hunting down a floppy that has no bad sectors
> consumes significant fractions of my working day.

i'm not going to ask why you're looking for a floppy.

> In fact, Ubuntu Linux takes exception of my 2.4GHz Celeron board that
> has only 128MB of RAM and runs about as fast as it does on the above,
> which is perfectly unusable.

there are lots of solutions here, if you choose to take them.

i've got gentoo running on a 128M ibm thinkpad 570. i'm sure you
could get gentoo running on your celery machine or, now here's a thought,
plan 9.

> PS: I warrant that conditions here are hardly the norm, but I am a
> sophisticated computer user and only rarely do I get the benefits of
> Moore's law, > whereas I am constantly reminded of the corollary you
> reject.

suit yourself.  i'm pretty sure things have gotten better since
dos TSR programs and sneaker nets.

- erik

* Re: ASN.1 (Was: [9fans] More 'Sam I am')
@ 2006-02-11 16:18 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-11 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

how did we get here? "personal oppertunities"?

all i'm saying is that it is not true that using a computer is now
slower than it used to be.

who rembers pc 5¼" disk drives? sppppt chunk chunk chunk ...
spppppt chunk chunk chunk brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrf. all for 64k.

@ 2006-02-11 14:37 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-11 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wire, format?, lucio, 9fans

i worked on a project for years that used a format equivalent
to XML or ASN.1, but we thought simplier.

naming the entities presented no efficiency problems for us.
i spent 6 months in several stints profiling that system
and for a 10k result set, the tcp overhead was greater than
the packing and unpacking overhead, but neither represented
1% of the runtime of any end-to-end process that i looked at.

with the exception of word processors, web browsers, and maybe gcc
i do not agree with your corollary to moore's law. 15 years ago
i was stuck with sun 160s and vaxen. 10 years ago i had a
ibm rs/6000 41t and a 66mhz pentium II. i'm still not up-to-date,
but by all my performance metrics, the 997mhz system i
use now is *way* faster. i've even got a better internet
connection via dialup than the sun/vax setup did in the late 80s.

- erik

On Sat Feb 11 02:24:26 CST 2006, lucio@proxima.alt.za wrote:
> > So why not /lib/ndb format: textual attribute=value pairs
> > with grouping?
>
> Because (a) they are language/alphabet specific and (b) they are
> inefficient.
>
> Before you jump down my throat, I am aware that the inefficiencies
> smack of premature optimisation, but in ASN.1 days they were mere
> failures of vision.  And I do maintain that saving processor cycles
> and storage is not a futile quest.  The corollary to Moore's Law is
> "Software bloat exceeds any gains in processor performance even before
> such gains can be exploited".

* Re: [9fans] More 'Sam I am'
@ 2006-02-11  0:10 quanstro
From: quanstro @ 2006-02-11  0:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

isn't this the "i don't trust new software" argument resurrected?
let's all install V7 from mag tape on our pdp-11s. ;-)

sorry. i couldn't resist.

- erik