* [9fans] xml2 and APE
@ 2008-11-25 17:17 Giacomo Tesio
From: Giacomo Tesio @ 2008-11-25 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello list,

I've found in http://netlib.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Contrib_index/ the xml2
(libxml2-2.6.30 for APE) package from Federico G. Benavento.

I was wondering if I have to use all the APE to use the library for writing
a Plan 9 application.

Giacomo

* Re: [9fans] xml2 and APE
@ 2008-11-25 20:40 ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2008-11-25 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hola,

> I was wondering if I have to use all the APE to use the library for writing
> a Plan 9 application.

as it says it's an APE port, that means you have to use the APE api with it,
I see no point in writing a native app using libxml2, if I needed to doing some
 xml I'd use something like steve's libxml

/n/sources/contrib/steve/libxml.tar

--
Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] xml2 and APE
@ 2008-11-25 22:19   ` Giacomo Tesio
From: Giacomo Tesio @ 2008-11-25 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Ehm... Sorry... :-D

As I knew libxml2, I directly searched "libxml2" in the contrib page...

You're right... I'll use that. :-D

Giacomo

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 9:40 PM, Federico G. Benavento
<benavento@gmail.com>wrote:

> hola,
>
> > I was wondering if I have to use all the APE to use the library for
> writing
> > a Plan 9 application.
>
> as it says it's an APE port, that means you have to use the APE api with
> it,
> I see no point in writing a native app using libxml2, if I needed to doing
> some
>  xml I'd use something like steve's libxml
>
> /n/sources/contrib/steve/libxml.tar
>

> --
> Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] xml2 and APE
@ 2008-11-25 22:34   ` Uriel
From: Uriel @ 2008-11-25 22:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

xml? Just say *no*.

And BTW, steve's libxml is far from usable and doesn't really
implement the complete standard (but who can blame him? the libxml2
people have been working on their implementation for years, and it is
still full of bugs and security issues, not to mention insanely slow).

Again, just say *no* to xml, even the web 2.0 fools have given it up.

uriel

<benavento@gmail.com> wrote:
> hola,
>
>> I was wondering if I have to use all the APE to use the library for writing
>> a Plan 9 application.
>
> as it says it's an APE port, that means you have to use the APE api with it,
> I see no point in writing a native app using libxml2, if I needed to doing some
>  xml I'd use something like steve's libxml
>
> /n/sources/contrib/steve/libxml.tar
>

> --
> Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] xml2 and APE
@ 2008-11-25 22:57     ` Eris Discordia
From: Eris Discordia @ 2008-11-25 22:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Again, just say *no* to xml, even the web 2.0 fools have given it up.

I agree. Web 2.0 is for fools.

I don't agree. Say yes to XML because you have to say yes to some markup
language anyway. Why not give the yes to an eXtensible one with a zillion
applications already, from TEI to DocBook to DITA to RSS to what have you?

And don't tell me you had SGML in mind.

--On Tuesday, November 25, 2008 11:34 PM +0100 Uriel <uriel99@gmail.com>
wrote:

> xml? Just say *no*.
>
> And BTW, steve's libxml is far from usable and doesn't really
> implement the complete standard (but who can blame him? the libxml2
> people have been working on their implementation for years, and it is
> still full of bugs and security issues, not to mention insanely slow).
>
> Again, just say *no* to xml, even the web 2.0 fools have given it up.
>
> uriel
>

> On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 9:40 PM, Federico G. Benavento
> <benavento@gmail.com> wrote:
>> hola,
>>
>>> I was wondering if I have to use all the APE to use the library for
>>> writing a Plan 9 application.
>>
>> as it says it's an APE port, that means you have to use the APE api with
>> it, I see no point in writing a native app using libxml2, if I needed to
>> doing some xml I'd use something like steve's libxml
>>
>> /n/sources/contrib/steve/libxml.tar
>>

>> --
>> Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] xml2 and APE
@ 2008-11-25 23:34     ` Giacomo Tesio
From: Giacomo Tesio @ 2008-11-25 23:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I'd prefer to avoid flame war, since I know this is an hot cold topic here.

But I don't agree.

On Tue, Nov 25, 2008 at 11:34 PM, Uriel <uriel99@gmail.com> wrote:

> xml? Just say *no*.
>
> And BTW, steve's libxml is far from usable and doesn't really
> implement the complete standard (but who can blame him? the libxml2
> people have been working on their implementation for years, and it is
> still full of bugs and security issues, not to mention insanely slow).

well... slow... may be  if compared with a parser for a non-extensible
language, but I'm not sure I could do better (even if I didn't try).

As any other tecnology XML could be misused. But there is no reason to
"hate" it so much.

Depending on your application design and the (human or not) environment who
required the application, it could be a bless or a mess.

For what I'm thinking there is simply no other way to obtain the result.

I need to encapsulate human skills to minimize the interaction between them
(graphic designers and developers).
With the (huge?) fixed cost of such a library development, I could minimize
it.

Again, just say *no* to xml, even the web 2.0 fools have given it up.

I find many approaching XML in a similar way than other use for plan 9: they
are so misunderstood!

Those web 2.0 guys who decided to avoid XML are often moving HTML pieces.
And they fill them selves smart. Or evalutating JSON.

It could seem smart, actually. But when client change (say from a browser to
a flash or to a web service) your problem begins.

Moreover those smart guys mix data and presentation.
They are smart if their only need is to sell a web 2.0 site to someone
actually need a blog.
For anything more, they are chosing a dangerous road.

> uriel

Giacomo
PS: I've had way to appretiate your estetical opinions about software
design. Only upon this subject I deeply disagree with you.

* Re: [9fans] xml2 and APE
@ 2008-11-26  2:01       ` Nick LaForge
From: Nick LaForge @ 2008-11-26  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

hello,

interfacing external languages should not often be hard, especially by
defining a relevent language subset.

i don't understand, though, why your external language 'xml' need now
be part of your application?

thanks,
nkl

* Re: [9fans] xml2 and APE