* [9fans] Latest pull killed my server
@ 2009-03-30 21:26 vmhaas
From: vmhaas @ 2009-03-30 21:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

All -
I have been running an all-in-one server on a VMware server virtual
machine on my Windows laptop.
After executing a 'pull' this morning, the server crashed and I have not
been able to revive it. Fortunately it was a playground so little of
value is missing, but I thougt I should ask . . .

I pulled down a copy of today's ISO and had the same results. It seems
to be panicking when hitting the (virtualized) Ethernet port.

Anyone else seeing this?

TIA
-- Mark

* Re: [9fans] Latest pull killed my server
@ 2009-03-30 21:33 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-03-30 21:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Mon Mar 30 17:28:36 EDT 2009, vmhaas@verizon.net wrote:
> All -
> I have been running an all-in-one server on a VMware server virtual
> machine on my Windows laptop.
> After executing a 'pull' this morning, the server crashed and I have not
> been able to revive it. Fortunately it was a playground so little of
> value is missing, but I thougt I should ask . . .
>
> I pulled down a copy of today's ISO and had the same results. It seems
> to be panicking when hitting the (virtualized) Ethernet port.
>
> Anyone else seeing this?

i am not seeing this, but sources venti is down and explains why
pull stepped on important stuff.  replica needs to be more defensive.

regardless, that doesn't explain why the iso worked enough to
get you to a panic.  what is the panic message?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Latest pull killed my server
@ 2009-03-31 11:18 ` Andreas Zell
From: Andreas Zell @ 2009-03-31 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 30 Mrz., 23:36, quans...@coraid.com (erik quanstrom) wrote:
> On Mon Mar 30 17:28:36 EDT 2009, vmh...@verizon.net wrote:
>
> > All -
> > I have been running an all-in-one server on a VMware server virtual
> > machine on my Windows laptop.
> > After executing a 'pull' this morning, the server crashed and I have not
> > been able to revive it. Fortunately it was a playground so little of
> > value is missing, but I thougt I should ask . . .
>
> > I pulled down a copy of today's ISO and had the same results. It seems
> > to be panicking when hitting the (virtualized) Ethernet port.
>
> > Anyone else seeing this?
>
> i am not seeing this, but sources venti is down and explains why
> pull stepped on important stuff.  replica needs to be more defensive.
>
> regardless, that doesn't explain why the iso worked enough to
> get you to a panic.  what is the panic message?
>
> - erik

I have the same problem with vmware.
The message is:

"panic: etherreset ether0"

I downloaded the plan9 iso file on 2009-03-24.

AZ.

* Re: [9fans] Latest pull killed my server
@ 2009-03-31 12:54   ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2009-03-31 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	/* compute log10(ether->mbps) into lg */
	for(lg = 0, mb = ether->mbps; mb >= 10; lg++)
		mb /= 10;
	if (lg > 0)
		lg--;
	if (lg > 14)			/* 2^(14+17) = 2⁳ⁱ */
		lg = 14;
	/* allocate larger output queues for higher-speed interfaces */
	bsz = 1UL << (lg + 17);		/* 2ⁱ⁷ = 128K, bsz = 2ⁿ × 128K */
	while (bsz > mainmem->maxsize / 8 && bsz > 128*1024)
		bsz /= 2;

	netifinit(ether, name, Ntypes, bsz);
>>	while (ether->oq == nil && bsz > 128*1024) {
		bsz /= 2;
		ether->oq = qopen(bsz, Qmsg, 0, 0);
		ether->limit = bsz;
	}
	if(ether->oq == nil)
		panic("etherreset %s", name);

the simple fix would be to change the > on the marked
line to >=.  but i think the while loop could be tossed
since malloc panics on failure and since qopen only allocates
sizeof(Queue) regardless of the limit argument.  i had
this code when i wrote the myricom driver (qio sets q->limit itself).

	j = ether->mbps;
	if(j > 1000)
		j *= 10;
	for(i = 0; j >= 100; i++)
		j /= 10;
	i = (128<<i) * 1024;
	netifinit(ether, name, Ntypes, i);
	if(ether->oq == nil)
		ether->oq = qopen(i, Qmsg, 0, 0);
	if(ether->oq == nil)
		panic("etherreset %s", name);

by the way, a quick scan shows
	ether2114x
	etherrhine
are capable of setting mbps to 0 on startup.  this should
be legal, since ethernet can be connected after boot.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Latest pull killed my server
@ 2009-04-01 14:23   ` Andreas Zell
From: Andreas Zell @ 2009-04-01 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On 31 Mrz., 15:03, quans...@quanstro.net (erik quanstrom) wrote:
>         /* compute log10(ether->mbps) into lg */
>         for(lg = 0, mb = ether->mbps; mb >= 10; lg++)
>                 mb /= 10;
>         if (lg > 0)
>                 lg--;
>         if (lg > 14)                 /* 2^(14+17) = 2?? */
>                 lg = 14;
>         /* allocate larger output queues for higher-speed interfaces */
>         bsz = 1UL << (lg + 17);           /* 2?? = 128K, bsz = 2? � 128K */
>         while (bsz > mainmem->maxsize / 8 && bsz > 128*1024)
>                 bsz /= 2;
>
>         netifinit(ether, name, Ntypes, bsz);>>        while (ether->oq == nil && bsz > 128*1024) {
>
>                 bsz /= 2;
>                 ether->oq = qopen(bsz, Qmsg, 0, 0);
>                 ether->limit = bsz;
>         }
>         if(ether->oq == nil)
>                 panic("etherreset %s", name);
>
> the simple fix would be to change the > on the marked
> line to >=.  but i think the while loop could be tossed
> since malloc panics on failure and since qopen only allocates
> sizeof(Queue) regardless of the limit argument.  i had
> this code when i wrote the myricom driver (qio sets q->limit itself).
>
>         j = ether->mbps;
>         if(j > 1000)
>                 j *= 10;
>         for(i = 0; j >= 100; i++)
>                 j /= 10;
>         i = (128<<i) * 1024;
>         netifinit(ether, name, Ntypes, i);
>         if(ether->oq == nil)
>                 ether->oq = qopen(i, Qmsg, 0, 0);
>         if(ether->oq == nil)
>                 panic("etherreset %s", name);
>
> by the way, a quick scan shows
>         ether2114x
>         etherrhine
> are capable of setting mbps to 0 on startup.  this should
> be legal, since ethernet can be connected after boot.
>
> - erik

It work's

Thank you.

AZ.