From: Robert Raschke <r.raschke@tombobWEGDAMIT.com>
To: jorge-plan9@magma.com.ni, 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] fossil+plan9: disk full revisited
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 11:23:11 +0000	[thread overview]

Jorge-León wrote:
> It seems that this year I am the one who stumbled over the infamous
> "cacheAllocBlock: xxx1 disk is full" situation.  No problem: I
> formatted and started over :-0
>

> The setup is a 100GB plan9 partition with about 14GB fossil and the
> rest venti, set up for confidence and performance tests of
> Plan9/fossil+venti in order to evaluate it for production use as a
> fileserver in the internal network at my work, with some Linux and a
> lot of Windows users.

[...snip...]

> While timed snapshots are really a nice thing for archiving, this
> feature maybe would make fossil+venti practically maintenance free.

You have to make sure that your fossil snapshots are recycled.

When you set up aotumatic snapshotting to venti using the fossil
snaptime command, make sure to set all three times: the archive to
venti, create fossil snapshot, and how long to keep fossil snapshots
around.  My fossil is set up with

snaptime -a 0200 -s 60 -t 7200

Archive to venti at 2AM, keep hourly fossil snapshots and throw away
fossil snapshts oder than 7200 minutes (5 days).

Without the last entry, your fossil will _definitely_ run out of space.

That has happened to me twice in the past couple of years.  I always
manage to get out of it by booting from a CD, mounting my fossil by
hand and running the 'epoch' command to ditch accumulated junk.  I've so
far never had to rebuild my fossil/venti from scratch.  That's going
back about two and half years now.

Robby