* [9fans] linux format invasion
@ 2005-03-10  0:51 Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2005-03-10  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i am flipping through my Linux Format in my foolishly surly fashion
when, suddenly .... i am confronted by a large picture of Glenda!
A whole page labelled ``Plan 9-based options''!
	larswm
	Discovering 9WM and its offspring.
	``Plan 9 was a different way of doing things -
	it's named after an Ed Wood B movie for a start.  8 1/2, its
	window manager - coded[!] by Rob Pike - inspired a generation
	of X coders. 9WM ...''
WAS!?!?  anyhow, apart from that, it's not so bad:
it refers to Rob Pike, David Gordon Hogan, Renée French's Glenda,
and of course Ed Wood who was responsible for the overall design
(ok, i made up that last phrase).  ``... and the binary x86 download
for Debian comes in at 23.9Kb''.  (unfortunately readers
will assume a typing mistake there.  Gb, surely.)
of course since it's larswm not larsrio, it refers to 8½,
and he's added features.  i therefore confess to wondering whether the
Kb is correct myself.

	Features  7/10
	Performance 9/10	 ``blazingly fast''
	Ease of Use	7/10
	Documentation	9/10

elsewhere on the same page:

lwm ``as small as it gets'' (Performance 10/10, Features 3/10,
so obviously the one of choice), and it's by York graduate
Elliott Hughes. ``downloading takes a fraction of a second''
``so small it's scary - but it does the job''

unfortunately the next page has the title ``More Advanced Options''
and we're back to the usual stuff:  UN-monitored sounds,
raspberry-flavoured icons ... you know the sort of things.
still.  there it was.  i'll scan it in when my Thinkpad returns.

only message in thread, other threads:[~2005-03-10  0:51 UTC | newest]