From: mirtchov@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] standalone cpu server wiki
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 19:20:17 -0700	[thread overview]

the wiki is relatively up-to-date.  give it a shot and if you see any
problems try the 9fans archives.

cpu servers are very easy -- all they need to know is where the auth
and file servers are (auth= and fs= settings in plan9.ini).

installing a file server takes a bit more work.  in your case (when
you don't need a standalone auth/cpu/fs server) I'd say your standard
installation could very easily be turned into a file server by telling
fossil to listen to the right port and starting keyfs and listen on
service.auth from cpurc:

	auth/keyfs -wp -m /mnt/keys /adm/keys >/dev/null >[2=1]
	aux/listen -q -t /rc/bin/service.auth -d /rc/bin/service tcp

still do check the documentation on the wiki -- there are some details
like compiling an auth/cpu server kernel that you may want to get
right...

the standalone file server refers to the old Plan 9 file server
written by Ken Thompson -- it's the one described in all the papers.
fossil is a replacement which doesn't require that you dedicate an
entire machine to it (the main machine at ucalgary serves as both an
auth and file server, and allows me to login to it).  the 'kfs' file
server was used as a standalone plan9 terminal before fossil was
written.

my advice is to start by adding menuconfig to plan9.ini (see the man
page) so that you can go choose and boot an old kernel you know works
whenever there's something broken in the new one -- having a sane
/rc/bin/termrc when you're editing /rc/bin/cpurc may save you a few
hours of grief :)

andrey