* [9fans] Still trying to acd going
@ 2006-08-07  5:52 John Boutland
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: John Boutland @ 2006-08-07  5:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I mailed a couple of days ago on this subject but have not found an
answer yet. It would be vey nice to get this very neat
bit of software going. Following a reply from Gabi Diaz(?) who suggested
that the Ensoniq es1371 was not supported, I dug up an oldish SB16 card
but have still had no success. From earlier postings, I've tried
audio0=type=sb16 port=0x220 (as well as audio1, type=ess1688 and various
other ports) in plan9.ini, and have run bind '#A' /dev. Following a (Dec
2000, so maybe out of date) posting from Russ Cox, I didn't enter irq or
dma; even more variables to get wrong). As I mentioned earlier,
everything works except I get no sound. I get the track title OK from
the server. Using some of these ports produces other errors, as I would
expect. Russ Cox's posting mentioned a program, tsb.c, a soundblaster
probe, but it's no longer around, at least where it used to be.
John

* Re: [9fans] Still trying to acd going
@ 2006-08-07  8:32 ` Gabriel Diaz
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Gabriel Diaz @ 2006-08-07  8:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello

you got /dev/audio and /dev/audioctl after the bind #A?

if the answer is yes you have a supported soundcard, the easiest way to test
it is using cdfs.

insert an audio-cd on your drive
use cdfs to mount it under /mnt/cd and go there
then cat a* > /dev/audio
if still there is no sound type something like
echo 'volume out 100%' > /dev/audioctl

gabi

@ 2006-08-07  8:44 ` Federico G. Benavento
From: Federico G. Benavento @ 2006-08-07  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>  Russ Cox's posting mentioned a program, tsb.c, a soundblaster
> probe, but it's no longer around, at least where it used to be.

maybe this is what your are talking about: http://cm.bell-labs.com/who/rsc/plan9/sbprobe.c

Federico G. Benavento

* Re: [9fans] Still trying to acd going
@ 2006-08-07 17:57 ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2006-08-07 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

One of the machines here with a soundblaster has this in its plan9.ini:

audio0=type=sb16 port=0x220 irq=5

Only Soundblaster 16 and compatible cards are driven by #A with
type=sb16.  With type=ess1688, #A will drive ESS 1688 and compatible
cards.  No other sound cards are supported by #A, so nowadays people
seem to be using USB audio devices via usbaudio in usb(4).

* Re: [9fans] Still trying to acd going
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-08-07 18:04 ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-08-07 18:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I mailed a couple of days ago on this subject but have not found an
> answer yet. It would be vey nice to get this very neat
> bit of software going.

I've got an interesting question for you, where can I find 'acd' :) ? I have no manpage, no source-code, no binary with that name, nor a grep acd /n/sources/contrib/*/INDEX found something.

>Following a reply from Gabi Diaz(?) who suggested
> that the Ensoniq es1371 was not supported, I dug up an oldish SB16 card
> but have still had no success.

SB16 works, but AC97-cards (the ensoniq-chip is ac97) don't. Likely to change because I am an audiophile and will start to work on drivers some day. ;)

> From earlier postings, I've tried
> audio0=type=sb16 port=0x220 (as well as audio1, type=ess1688 and various
> other ports) in plan9.ini, and have run bind '#A' /dev.

I have this one in my plan9.ini. I typed those values in from memory, I was 'passivly' using computers when ISA was in, so I never really got how to find these numbers out without trial-and-error methods:

audio0=type=sb16 port=0x220 irq=7 dma=5

(it is the only ISA-card on a two ISA-slot board, if that matters (probably doesn't)).

Note two things:

1.) After this is in your plan9.ini, the kernel/driver will know what to do. You will still have to bind the file-system provided by the audio-driver into your namespace - that is bind -a '#A' /dev ...

2.) You are new to Plan9? Did you yet notice that there are private namespaces? That means if you open a window, and bind #A into your namespace, just that client (and childs) will see /dev/audio.. if you look in window2, you will not see /dev/audio in there until you bind it there, too (or, you put the bind 'up one layer', so bind #A before rio starts. Or, in acme, execute "Local bind -a '#A' /dev" (see Local in acme(1)).

But I am pretty sure gdiaz is right that 'acd', however where it is ;), as a cd-player (it apperently is), will just command the ATAPI-drive to start/stop playing. I do not know if you can change the volume from software, maybe check for that.

Mfg, Sascha

* Re: [9fans] Still trying to acd going
@ 2006-08-07 18:08   ` Sascha Retzki
From: Sascha Retzki @ 2006-08-07 18:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Hello
>
> you got /dev/audio and /dev/audioctl after the bind #A?

There is audiostat. A 'ctl'-file is called 'volume'. But I like audioctl more, too :)

* Re: [9fans] Still trying to acd going
@ 2006-08-07 20:58   ` John Boutland
From: John Boutland @ 2006-08-07 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

  Thanks to various of you for the helpful mail. Am going to try out a few
things from you later today.

Sasha, Yes, I'm new to Plan9. I just realised he extent of the private name
space yesterday, when discovering that certain things done in the rio window
had not affected the acme window.

Re your question, I found acd in  /acme/bin/386

@ 2006-08-08  0:12   ` Federico Benavento
From: Federico Benavento @ 2006-08-08  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hola,

> I've got an interesting question for you, where can I find 'acd' :) ? I have no manpage, no source-code, no binary with that name, nor a grep acd /n/sources/contrib/*/INDEX found something.

/acme/bin/386/acd
/acme/bin/source/acd/

--
Federico G. Benavento