* Re: [9fans] video sluggishness
@ 2002-04-30 12:58 rob pike, esq.
From: rob pike, esq. @ 2002-04-30 12:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

We can now reproduce the problem and are working on it.

-rob

* Re: [9fans] video sluggishness
       [not found] <b9e2e96554e3a93dd3746a1acf0211e8@plan9.bell-labs.com>
@ 2002-04-30  9:40 ` Don
From: Don @ 2002-04-30  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Then run
> 	echo resize -dx 500 -dy 500 >/dev/wctl
> 	echo -n scroll >/dev/wctl
> 	time cat /lib/words
>
> How long does it take?

0.00u 0.00s 7.18r cat /lib/words

> If this test isn't demonstrating your problem,
> what does?  Does your problem only exist when the
> load is high (due to genrandom)?

This activity does not exemplify the problem. The
problem is _extremely_ apparent in acme windows
where I edit at the top of any file. The screen
redraws the reset of the acme window as I hit the
return key, but, is so slow I can almost count the
refresh time in seconds. Another example is resizing
or creating a window. The window border lags badly
when following my mouse and takes almost an entire
second to catch up. Scrolling is not the issue
because new data is appended to the current data
rather than old data having to be shuffled around to
include the new data.

Here is the output from my /dev/vgactl:
type s3
size 1280x1024x8 m8
blanktime 30
hwaccel on
hwblank off
panning off
addr 0xe6000000

This problem is evident when hwaccel is both 'on'
and 'off'.

Don
7f is temporarily offline
plz point your email to northern_snow78@yahoo.com