From: geoff@collyer.net
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] memory
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 16:45:59 -0800	[thread overview]

Actually, that's: any setting higher than 90% will revert to the
default (at least on the PC): the code computes userpcnt as 100 -
kernelpercent, and then works with userpcnt.

I'm using *kernelpercent=9 on my terminal, which has 1GB of RAM (for
building CD images in memory).  90MB seems to be adequate for kernel
memory.  Kernel memory is allocated primarily for images (in terminal
kernels) and network buffering.  One might want more network buffering
for faster interfaces, though back- pressure probably limits how much
memory one can profitably use.  I do like not having to worry about
running out of image memory at awkward times (the screen is populated
with windows and you try to open one more, only to have it fail and
spew complaints across the screen).