On 7/23/20 4:33 PM, Skip Tavakkolian wrote: > > > On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 1:31 PM Ethan Gardener > wrote: > > On Thu, Jul 23, 2020, at 6:50 PM, Skip Tavakkolian wrote: > > Going by memory, assuming aux/vga ran, you should be able to > type 8-Alt-1-2 to type 8½ > > You should also be able to start acme or sam instead of 8½. > > These will probably work, except acme hadn't been invented yet and > sam may or may not give an error the first time. (Checked with > another demo disk.) You probably do want to start the window > system, there is no way to kill the foreground process without it. > > > Acme (Alef version) is in 2ed; the single-floppy version doesn't seem > to have the binary. Looking at the screenshot that Will sent me > directly, the dates on the binaries match up to 2ed release. > > I'm pretty sure the four-floppy set that came with the CDROM has the > acme binary. I don't have any floppy drives that I trust to look at my > copy. > *9fans * / 9fans / see discussions > + participants > + delivery options > Permalink > > Interestingly enough, I found an old 4 floppy set of vd's in the same folder with the demo image. It looks like they are Nov 1995 (I apparently winimaged them from floppies back then). When I boot disk 1, it complains about not having an mbr partition and bails. I'm guessing it's expecting some OS and hard disk to be present to install to. -- GPG Fingerprint: 68F4 B3BD 1730 555A 4462 7D45 3EAA 5B6D A982 BAAF