* [9fans] Problems with the SD driver
@ 2014-07-31 20:53 dante
From: dante @ 2014-07-31 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Dear 9ers,

I did the following (sdU0.0 is a USB stick); the machine being a
Raspberry Pi:

disk/mbr /dev/sdU0.0/data
disk/fdisk -b /dev/sdU0.0/data <<EOF
a p0 0 32
t p0 FAT32
A p0
EOF
disk/fdisk -wa /dev/sdU0.0/data
disk/fdisk -p /dev/sdU0.0/data >/dev/sdU0.0/ctl

Now, I would expect to find entries for the dos and plan9 partitions
under /dev/sdU0.0.
All there is there are the following files: ctl, data, raw.

What's going wrong?

Thanks,
Dante

* Re: [9fans] Problems with the SD driver
@ 2014-07-31 21:16 ` cinap_lenrek
From: cinap_lenrek @ 2014-07-31 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

labs usb/disk doesnt implement partitions. you need to run partfs
for that.

the 9front usb/disk implements partitions just like the kernels
devsd.

--
cinap

* Re: [9fans] Problems with the SD driver
@ 2014-07-31 21:38   ` dante
From: dante @ 2014-07-31 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks!!

@ 2014-08-01  9:02   ` dante
From: dante @ 2014-08-01  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Why is the manual for partfs in Section 8 (system administration) and
not in Section 4 (file servers)?
This is the reason why I have overseen it.

Would it be reasonable to ask for the manpage to be moved?

Thanks,
Dante

@ 2014-08-01  9:07     ` dante
From: dante @ 2014-08-01  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Another file server in Section 8: disksim.

@ 2014-08-02  1:20     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-08-02  1:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Why is the manual for partfs in Section 8 (system administration) and
> not in Section 4 (file servers)?  This is the reason why I have
> overseen it.

imho, it's a mistake to think that all file servers must be listed
in section 4.  some file servers are listed in section 3, because they're
in the kernel.  some are listed in section 8 because they are adminstrative
commands, that happen to take the form of a file server.  we can argue
semantics, but either way it is done one ends up with the same dilemma
that not all x command are listed in section of(x).

- erik

* Re: [9fans] Problems with the SD driver
@ 2014-08-02 12:18       ` dante
From: dante @ 2014-08-02 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks for the explanation, i agree.