* [9fans] Better Safe Than Sorry (Partitioning Question)
@ 2010-02-15  9:39 E
From: E @ 2010-02-15  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello again,

So I finally got my CD working very nicely to check out the P9 system
interface. (I chose to install it to my laptop which has windows
instead of circum-navigating around and re-writing the disc, etc.)
After getting a little familiar with the interface, I feel like this
would something I'd like to install and get to know on a more regular
basis.

As I'm zipping along in my installation process, I get to partitioning
the disk. It will only write one cylinder which is not enough to put
P9 on (it's listed as only 7.84 MB). I've been trying to figure out
how to change it by deleting it and then trying to add it again with a
specified amount that I choose, but it doesn't seem to be going in...
I figured it might rewrite the last section of p1 (see below to
understand more on this).

Here is an example of what I have:

cylinder = 8225280 bytes
*p1   0 7295   (7295 cylinders, 55.88 GB) HPFS
`p2   7295 7296   (1 cylinders, 7.84 MB) PLAN9

I am trying the command

d p2

followed by

a p2 [7265[7296]]

The usual response is: ?syntax error.

Generally speaking, I'd like to have p2 at around 1 GB...ish. Maybe
more. I figure 31 cylinders will be plenty at this point.

Any idea on what to do or what I am doing wrong? Am I going to have to
delete p1 and then add it again with [0[7265]] first in order to give
p2 more space? If so, then what are the potential problems by doing
so? I hardly use p1 and so it doesn't have much occupied memory being
used, but will it completely delete my entire p1 system if I do that?

ES

* Re: [9fans] Better Safe Than Sorry (Partitioning Question)
@ 2010-02-15 11:35 ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2010-02-15 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I am trying the command
>	d p2
>followed by
> 	a p2 [7265[7296]]
> The usual response is: ?syntax error.

The syntax you are using is wrong, you should be typing

	a p2  7265 7296

(no square brackets), however this will overlap Partition 1
which fdisk will not allow.

You would need to truncate the HPFS partition to give
more space for plan9 to use. I beleive there is some software
which will allow you to truncate a windows partitions however
I have never done this.

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] Better Safe Than Sorry (Partitioning Question)
@ 2010-02-15 13:14 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2010-02-15 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Here is an example of what I have:
>
> cylinder = 8225280 bytes
> *p1   0 7295   (7295 cylinders, 55.88 GB) HPFS
> `p2   7295 7296   (1 cylinders, 7.84 MB) PLAN9
>
> I am trying the command
>
> d p2
>
> followed by
>
> a p2 [7265[7296]]
>
> The usual response is: ?syntax error.
>
> Generally speaking, I'd like to have p2 at around 1 GB...ish. Maybe
> more. I figure 31 cylinders will be plenty at this point.

also, one typically adds partitions to the plan 9
partition with prep(8) rather than fdisk.

- erik