* [9fans] Installing Plan9 on VMware
@ 2006-10-14 17:45 Kyrre Nygård
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Kyrre Nygård @ 2006-10-14 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	Hey all!

	I'm trying to install Plan9 on VMware Workstation 5.5.2, however
when I get to the installation, things start acting really weird. See
attached image. The text is gone, but when I click around there, it
sometimes appears, then it disappears again.

	Any idea what I could do?

Thanks,
Kyrre

* [9fans] Installing Plan9 on VMware
@ 2006-10-14 17:57 ` Kyrre Nygård
From: Kyrre Nygård @ 2006-10-14 17:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

	My bad, here's the image.

All the best,
Kyrre

[-- Attachment #2: vmware.jpg --]
[-- Type: image/jpeg, Size: 161924 bytes --]

* Re: [9fans] Installing Plan9 on VMware
@ 2006-10-14 19:29 ` Ignacio Torres Masdeu
From: Ignacio Torres Masdeu @ 2006-10-14 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/14/06, Kyrre Nygård <kyrreny@broadpark.no> wrote:
>         I'm trying to install Plan9 on VMware Workstation 5.5.2, however
> when I get to the installation, things start acting really weird. See
> attached image. The text is gone, but when I click around there, it
> sometimes appears, then it disappears again.

Some more info would be really appreciated. Your VMWare config, for example.
You arrive to the rio stage of installation, so I'd bet that you
didn't deactivate hwaccel in vmware or something similar.

Anyway, there are lots of info in the wiki, ie:

Chip                         | Native    | VESA | Notes
VMware virtual chipset (vmware won't release documentation, please use
qemu instead)
    4.5                      | Yes       | ?    |
    5.0                      | Yes       | ?    | Needs hwaccel off

Checking your vmware config or trying with qemu sounds like a good
idea and reading the installation instructions, installation
troubleshooting and hardware compatibility sections of the wiki is a
must.

http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Supported_PC_hardware/
http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/Installation_instructions/index.html
http://www.cs.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/installation_troubleshooting/index.html

--
Saludos,
Ignacio Torres <http://ignacio.torresmasdeu.name/>

* Re: [9fans] Installing Plan9 on VMware
@ 2006-10-15  0:38 ` Federico Benavento
From: Federico Benavento @ 2006-10-15  0:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 10/14/06, Kyrre Nygård <kyrreny@broadpark.no> wrote:

>         Hey all!
>
>         I'm trying to install Plan9 on VMware Workstation 5.5.2, however
> when I get to the installation, things start acting really weird. See
> attached image. The text is gone, but when I click around there, it
> sometimes appears, then it disappears again.
>
>         Any idea what I could do?
>
> Thanks,
> Kyrre

echo hwaccel off > /dev/vgactl