no he's just unlucky in various ways and we're quite busy (especially when one or more of us are on summer holiday). one piece of bad luck is that he sent me a message earlier today that prompted me to take another look at some problems he'd had, several of which i couldn't reproduce, and indeed i was well into looking at it when his complaint arrived on this list... anyhow, i couldn't reproduce several of the more peculiar problems (`/bin/limbo' phase error -- directory entry not allocated' looked like remove whilst in use which nearly puts this note on topic) but i have mended those that i did reproduce, found a few more, and put new update packs for the 15 july 2002 update set on our site. to bring it a little more on topic, those packs allow a Plan 9 4th edition user to update a Plan 9 (only) 3e inferno installation to work under 4th edition. the old emu binary nearly worked as is, but 3e directory reading isn't emulated as russ has just noted. to answer another question: the Plan 9 4e CD we issue has got an Inferno distribution that will also work under 4e.