Perhaps because it isn't a random number generator. Getting reasonable random numbers with beating clocks, ala /dev/random in plan9, is not hard. However, to have any confidence in it you really have to test it on every machine. I've got a few reasonable random number testers and there are plenty on the web. I throw them at our random generator every now and then to make sure nothing broke. If in Windows, a process can get interrupted by the 8253 clock, we can generate similarly random numbers there though perhaps at a slower rate. That does require that the 8253 stay independent of the cpu clock. However, something like the X9.17 algorithm, seeded by a small amount of random material will produce a ready supply of unpredicatble and incoherent bytes for things like prime number generation. You don't have to look around too much, we've already got it.