* [9fans] Rtl8139 NIC detection..
@ 2004-04-29  3:06 Ishwar Rattan
From: Ishwar Rattan @ 2004-04-29  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I am trying to install Plan 9 on a celeron box with rtl-8139-10BaseT
ether card. The system installs, looks like rtl is detected during
boot but is not available after that. I did not find an entry
in 9fat plan9.ini too. What is the correct incantation plan9.ini
entry of this card (I am assuming that it is supported)?

Thanks in advance,
-ishwar

* Re:  [9fans] Rtl8139 NIC detection..
@ 2004-04-29 12:54 Richard C Bilson
From: Richard C Bilson @ 2004-04-29 12:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I am trying to install Plan 9 on a celeron box with rtl-8139-10BaseT
> ether card. The system installs, looks like rtl is detected during
> boot but is not available after that. I did not find an entry
> in 9fat plan9.ini too. What is the correct incantation plan9.ini
> entry of this card (I am assuming that it is supported)?

This sounds familliar...

The last time I installed, which was about a year ago, the 8139 was
built in to 9load but not into the actual kernel, producing the
symptoms you describe.  I'd try building a new kernel, making sure that
it has the 8139 driver.

Once I had a proper kernel, I didn't have to do anything to plan9.ini.