* Re: [9fans] Creating a Plan 9 exhibit for an Expo.
@ 2004-09-22  2:10 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-09-22  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Wed Sep 22 10:14:52 JST 2004, Kenji Okamoto wrote:
> > I used to use acme on Inferno when I didn't have a way to input
> > kanji on Plan 9.
> I've never have such a case, what situation?

There has been ktrans always but the program seemed not
good enough for my daily use then.  I eventually made an
skk-like input program myself. But until then, I used inferno acme.

> > Inferno accepts kanji character input from
> > Windows IME 2000.
> Hm, then, that Inferno must be new version.

No, it's not.  It was Inferno 3rd ed. on Windows NT4 and two years ago.

> >  Limbo programming is a great fun too.
> great joy as a minor?

Again, no. :)
Limbo is a good programming language.  Every shortcomings in C
is fixed in Limbo, I think.  Modularity, tuple, array, parallel
programming & communication, etc.  At the same time, Limbo stays
simple and clean compared to other newer languages like c++, java.
Good tools give their user joy on using them.

> In the case of Inferno, I don't feel such a strong policy, and there is
> little that cannot be done by other than Inferno either.

My understanding is that Inferno is built around the same strong policy
as Plan 9, a file sharing protocol.  But the implementation is different.
It's written in Limbo rather than C.

* Re: [9fans] Creating a Plan 9 exhibit for an Expo.
@ 2004-09-22  0:21 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-09-22  0:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Tue Sep 21 18:36:16 JST 2004, Kenji Okamoto wrote:
> Hm, he is also an Inferno user.   Do you have anything to say
> here, Takeshi?   I don't know him actually...

I used to use acme on Inferno when I didn't have a way to input
kanji on Plan 9.  Inferno accepts kanji character input from
Windows IME 2000.  Limbo programming is a great fun too.

* Re: [9fans] Creating a Plan 9 exhibit for an Expo.
@ 2004-09-21  2:06 YAMANASHI Takeshi
From: YAMANASHI Takeshi @ 2004-09-21  2:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vester.thacker, 9fans

 :
> I am looking for suggestions for creating a demo, and any lessons
> learned from earlier attempts.

Those ideas targeting to programmars were already mentioned in the list.
So I will go another way...  How about creating a simple fossil server
running aquarela and distributing its pre-installed vmware image, so that
they can just copy and start the server in their PCs?

There should be none who doesn't appreciate archival/ephemeral
snapshot feature of fossil.

* [9fans] Creating a Plan 9 exhibit for an Expo.
@ 2004-09-19 12:41 Vester Thacker
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Vester Thacker @ 2004-09-19 12:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi Everyone,

I want to create a Plan 9 demo/exhibit for an Expo and for local
presentations in Japan. It is my desire to help Plan 9 become more
widely recognized, understood,
and used.

I am looking for suggestions for creating a demo, and any lessons
learned from earlier attempts.  Any help or advice is greatly
appreciated.

--Vester "Vic" Thacker