* [9fans] looking for opinions on Interprocess communication
@ 2009-03-22 22:17 Fernan Bolando
From: Fernan Bolando @ 2009-03-22 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi all

I was wondering if you guys have an opinion on the following data
communication methods.
The data are mostly a bunch of binary where program1 is asking program2 to do
something with the data and send the results back to program1. The
data is currently very
small less than 1Kbyte, but I am not sure if it will grow later. I am
also not sure how much time
program2 needs to send a response.

method 1 - This simply uses plumber and it greatly simplifies both
program1 and program2
program1 --> file IO  -> plumber -> program2 -> file IO -> plumber -> program1

method 2 - In this scheme program2 is a server, mounted on the file
system. The client
does not need to know 9p
program1 -> file IO -> server/progam2 -> fileIO -> program1

method 3 - program2 is still a server but, the client uses 9p to
communicate with program2
program1 -> 9p -> server/program2 -> 9p -> program1

I hope that made some sense to somebody.

regards
fernan
--
http://www.fernski.com

* Re: [9fans] looking for opinions on Interprocess communication
@ 2009-03-22 23:16 ` James Tomaschke
From: James Tomaschke @ 2009-03-22 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Fernan Bolando wrote:
> I was wondering if you guys have an opinion on the following data
> communication methods.

I would suggest using whatever method keeps the code simple. You can
worry about optimization later when you have some data on performance.
It will be easier to optimize starting from a simple implementation than
from a more complex best-guess.

* Re: [9fans] looking for opinions on Interprocess communication
@ 2009-03-23 20:21 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2009-03-23 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fernanbolando, 9fans

> method 2 - In this scheme program2 is a server, mounted on the file
> system. The client
> does not need to know 9p
> program1 -> file IO -> server/progam2 -> fileIO -> program1

use this; you get 9p transparently in your client. also you get networking for free.