From: erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] nvram
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 2009 14:08:18 -0400	[thread overview]

On Tue Jul 28 14:00:22 EDT 2009, lyndon@orthanc.ca wrote:
> Okay, it's authsrv(2) that describes the nvram search sequence. And for
> whatever reason I had it in my head that these days it was possible to
> grab the nvram across the wire, which in hindsight makes no sense
> whatsoever. And now that I think about it, my last (2ed) 'diskless' CPU
> server had a floppy drive in it for this very reason ...
>
> Doncha just love PC hardware?

ya.  we use small flash drives from memorydepot.com for this.
but if price is really the limiter, not power or anything else,
you may prefer to use a regular hard drive.  or, i think you
could use sdloop to mount a usb key on boot and put your
nvram on that.  that might be complicated due to boot ordering
problems.

i guess i need to update this man page.  i didn't recall the
search algorithm was documented.  thanks for pointing that out.

- erik