* [9fans] Help getting Plan9 to recognize my mouse
@ 2004-06-01  8:11 Michael Hughes
From: Michael Hughes @ 2004-06-01  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I have the typical Logitech LED Wheel Mouse. I plugged it into the PS2 port
with a USB-PS2 adapter.

The install process recognized the mouse pointer
and I successfully moved it around the screen to make sure it worked.

It seems the Plan9 itself doesn't recognize it.
Doesn't recognize it directly into the USB nor the PS2.

Are there hot keys to switch active windows (so to speak).

I see the chart at the top left corner with the LMISCE measures.

the glenda icon to its right whith the day, date, time above her
and "glenda" below her.

a table of sorts with

"Mail win Newcol Kill Putall Dump Exit"
"New Cut Paste" - New Cut Paste Snarf Sort Zerox Delcol - New Cut Paste Sna
/usr/glenda D - readme.acme Del Snarf | Look - /usr/glenda/- Del

then

a window saying

"Rio is the Plan 9 window system."
"To read more of htis window, the up and down arrows...

and at the very bottom

/usr/glenda/ Del Snarf Get | Look

-

sorry for all that if it's the typical initial Plan9 screen after a first
install
-
Am I out of luck if the mouse isn't recognize ?

Any help with the mouse problem would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Michael

* Re: [9fans] Help getting Plan9 to recognize my mouse
@ 2004-06-01 11:58 ` Joel Salomon
From: Joel Salomon @ 2004-06-01 11:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Welcome, Michael!

Michael Hughes said:
> I have the typical Logitech LED Wheel Mouse. I plugged it into the PS2
> port with a USB-PS2 adapter.

Do you have a usb port on your computer, or must you plug the mouse in via
the adaptor?

> The install process recognized the mouse pointer
> and I successfully moved it around the screen to make sure it worked.
>
> It seems the Plan9 itself doesn't recognize it.
> Doesn't recognize it directly into the USB nor the PS2.

Likely plan9.ini isn't set right (if the mouse is plugged into the ps2
port) or the mouse is plugged into the usb port. I don't remember the
correct syntax for plan9.ini, but it's something like mouse=ps2 - somebody
correct me, please.
If the mouse is attached via usb, try running usb/usbd followed by
usb/usbmouse at the command line (should be the active window at boot
time). Then you'll want to put those lines in termrc (where is that any
way?)

> Are there hot keys to switch active windows (so to speak).

No.

> the glenda icon to its right whith the day, date, time above her
> and "glenda" below her.

That's the faces program

> a table of sorts with
>
> "Mail win Newcol Kill Putall Dump Exit"
> "New Cut Paste" - New Cut Paste Snarf Sort Zerox Delcol - New Cut Paste
> Sna
> /usr/glenda D - readme.acme Del Snarf | Look - /usr/glenda/- Del

acme.

> then
>
> a window saying
>
> "Rio is the Plan 9 window system."
> "To read more of htis window, the up and down arrows...

That is a shell window - scroll down, and you can run usb/usbd, etc. at
the prompt.

This is the default start-up screen layout.

Hope this helps,

--Joel

* Re: [9fans] Help getting Plan9 to recognize my mouse
@ 2004-06-01 13:28   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-06-01 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

You can log in as none and then it won't start the
gui, so you can then do something.  For example, try
running "echo $mouseport" and make sure it says ps2.
If it does not, you need to edit your plan9.ini to add that.

9fat:
echo 'mouseport=ps2' >>/n/9fat/plan9.ini

is probably sufficient.

Russ