* [9fans] vncs and a single terminal cfg
@ 2004-06-01  3:59 Frank Palazzolo
From: Frank Palazzolo @ 2004-06-01  3:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hello,

I have only one machine to use with plan9 right now, and so I've
configured it as a terminal.  I would love to be able to use vncs, so
that I can access it from other platforms.  It seems that in order to
use vncs, I need an auth server.  I've been trying to enable my
terminal to act as an auth server, based on the message thread of a
few months ago.  However, before I get too deep, can I actually use a
single machine as a terminal and a self-serving auth server as well?
It's goofy, I know.

I got as far as using wrkey, starting the auth service, adding keys
to factotum, and using auth/debug to check that I can access myself.
:)  auth/debug gives: cannot dial auth server: connection refused.

Thanks,
Frank

* Re: [9fans] vncs and a single terminal cfg
@ 2004-06-01  9:05 ` Bruce Ellis
From: Bruce Ellis @ 2004-06-01  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

my single "brain dead" plan9 machine is auth/cpu/fs.
i access it almost exclusively from drawterm (cause
the view is better from the couch).

have a look and differing pc* config files and ask
me a question if you like.

brucee

@ 2004-06-01  9:11   ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-06-01  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> my single "brain dead" plan9 machine is auth/cpu/fs.
> i access it almost exclusively from drawterm (cause

I wonder why he wants to use vncs instead of drawterm...

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] vncs and a single terminal cfg
@ 2004-06-01 13:30 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-06-01 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I got as far as using wrkey, starting the auth service, adding keys
> to factotum, and using auth/debug to check that I can access myself.
> :)  auth/debug gives: cannot dial auth server: connection refused.

You need to edit your /lib/ndb/local to fix this.
There needs to be an entry for your system
or network with an auth= line pointing at yourself.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] vncs and a single terminal cfg
@ 2004-06-01 13:31   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2004-06-01 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> You need to edit your /lib/ndb/local to fix this.
> There needs to be an entry for your system
> or network with an auth= line pointing at yourself.

Actually, I think I lied.  You need a line like

auth=your.server authdom=your.authdom.name

in a clause by itself.  That should be sufficient.

Russ