* [9fans] mail questions
@ 2005-02-11 21:23 Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2005-02-11 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I'm setting up mail (through gmail) on my machine.  I'm
following the wiki directions.  I was able to get upas
to check mail from the remote pop fine.  Now I'm trying
to get outgoing smtp working.

The first thing I noticed was that the instructions in
the wiki seem to be wrong here:

   Try to send email to the server:

   ;upas/send -d -a -h mymachine.dom net!smtp.myserver.dom
       account-on-server dest-user@sest-system.dom

running this command gives a usage error and the flags dont
line up at all.  Is this the wrong command name?  Or have
the flags changed?

Second I'm getting some errors when I try to send out.
I'm using the rewrite-gateway setup and edited fd= in
remotemail.  When I send mail out /sys/log/smtp.fail
says dns: dns failure (net!$smtp).  I do have an
smtp=... line in my /lib/ndb/local for my ipnet.
ip/ipquery ip <myip> smtp displays the line properly and
con -l 'net!$smtp!smtp' connects to the remote properly.
Why am I getting this error?

Tim N.

* Re: [9fans] mail questions
@ 2005-02-12  0:12 ` Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2005-02-12  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> The first thing I noticed was that the instructions in
> the wiki seem to be wrong here:
>
>    Try to send email to the server:
>
>    ;upas/send -d -a -h mymachine.dom net!smtp.myserver.dom
>        account-on-server dest-user@sest-system.dom

Do you really tried upas/send this way (or is this a typo)?

send(8) is not documented to take these options.  But instead, smtp(8)
knows exactly these options.  (perhaps the wiki is wrong on that?)

(Just for completeness: The upas/smtp command is called in
/mail/lib/remotemail and can be reconfigured there.)

Heiko

* Re: [9fans] mail questions
@ 2005-02-12  0:32   ` Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2005-02-12  0:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Do you really tried upas/send this way (or is this a typo)?

It's late and and perhaps the wine... Well: "Did you really try..."

Ähem... ;-))

* Re: [9fans] mail questions
@ 2005-02-12  2:09   ` Tim Newsham
From: Tim Newsham @ 2005-02-12  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

>>    ;upas/send -d -a -h mymachine.dom net!smtp.myserver.dom
>>        account-on-server dest-user@sest-system.dom
>
> Do you really tried upas/send this way (or is this a typo)?

Yes, that line is from the wiki.  Looks like "smtp" is what
they meant.   Looks like upas/smtp doesnt like getting 'net!$smtp'
as an address.  I hardwired my smtp gateway into /mail/bin/remotemail
and got passed the x509 certificate bits (added -a so that it
knows to use ssl, and added the cert to the proper file).

Now it seems like it should be succeeding, but that the smtp
program is confused:

   p9term Feb 11 19:02:01 delivery to smtp.gmail.com failed:
   250-smtp.gmail.com at your service
   250-SIZE 20971520
   250-8BITMIME
   250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
   250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES

The smtp host is saying "everything's good" and upas is saying
"failed."

Is anyone currently using gmail's smtp service?

Tim N.

PS. My /sys/src/cmd/upas/* and corresponding /bin/* are up to date.

* Re: [9fans] mail questions
@ 2005-02-13 13:20     ` Heiko Dudzus
From: Heiko Dudzus @ 2005-02-13 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Yes, that line is from the wiki.  Looks like "smtp" is what
> they meant.   Looks like upas/smtp doesnt like getting 'net!$smtp'
> as an address.  I hardwired my smtp gateway into /mail/bin/remotemail
> and got passed the x509 certificate bits (added -a so that it
> knows to use ssl, and added the cert to the proper file).
>
> Now it seems like it should be succeeding, but that the smtp
> program is confused:
>
>    p9term Feb 11 19:02:01 delivery to smtp.gmail.com failed:
>    250-smtp.gmail.com at your service
>    250-SIZE 20971520
>    250-8BITMIME
>    250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
>    250 ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
>
> The smtp host is saying "everything's good" and upas is saying
> "failed."

When I try to post a message with upas/smtp -a I can't get around the
following error that shows up in /sys/log/smtp:

| talisker Feb 13 13:20:36 remote cert. has bad thumbprint: x509 sha1=08F63C39700EA3F2DCD47B9DE70358123BE09DB6 server=smtp.web.de

although I added

| x509 sha1=08F63C39700EA3F2DCD47B9DE70358123BE09DB6 server=smtp.web.de

to /sys/lib/tls/mail.

In the SMTP dialog, the client therefore keeps silence after it
requested STARTTLS and the server the server said "go ahead".  The
session quits through timeout, then.

Is that also what you get?

BTW: The man page of smtp(8) explains the meaning of '-a' two times
(slightly differing, slightly confusing)

> Is anyone currently using gmail's smtp service?

I gave up trying to send mail via authenticated SMTP at this point
last year.

Heiko

* Re: [9fans] mail questions
@ 2005-02-13 13:27       ` Steve Simon
From: Steve Simon @ 2005-02-13 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

For the archives:

To receive TLS encrypted email (via pop or imap) you need to put the
thumbprint in  /sys/lib/tls/smtp.

To send TLS encrypted email (via smtp) you need to put the thumbprint in
/sys/lib/tls/smtp

-Steve

* Re: [9fans] mail questions
@ 2005-02-13 16:17         ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-02-13 16:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> To receive TLS encrypted email (via pop or imap) you need to put the
> thumbprint in  /sys/lib/tls/smtp.

no, mail.

> To send TLS encrypted email (via smtp) you need to put the thumbprint in
> /sys/lib/tls/smtp

yes.