* Re: [9fans] vacfs from Plan 9 ports
@ 2005-03-21 14:34 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-03-21 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> I playing with vac to create a vac archive on a venti server. How do I
> use vacfs under UNIX to access the archive?

You've got a few choices, none of them completely satisfying.

1. use vacfs under plan 9 via drawterm
2. use 9p (http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man1/9p.html)
3. use Netfiles (http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man1/netfiles.html)
4. use v9fs (http://v9fs.sf.net)

9p and Netfiles are completely portable; Netfiles only
runs under acme but it presents a nice interface.

V9fs only runs under Linux and I haven't tried it in a
while so I can't vouch for its stability.

Russ

* [9fans] vacfs from Plan 9 ports
@ 2005-03-21 14:36 Matthias Teege
From: Matthias Teege @ 2005-03-21 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I playing with vac to create a vac archive on a venti server. How do I
use vacfs under UNIX to access the archive?

Matthias

* Re: [9fans] vacfs from Plan 9 ports
@ 2005-03-21 15:18   ` Eric Van Hensbergen
From: Eric Van Hensbergen @ 2005-03-21 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:34:41 -0500, Russ Cox <russcox@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I playing with vac to create a vac archive on a venti server. How do I
> > use vacfs under UNIX to access the archive?
>

> V9fs only runs under Linux and I haven't tried it in a
> while so I can't vouch for its stability.

It should be fairly stable - nothing has gone in recently which should
mess with the p9p support (that Lucho has primarily been responsible
for getting working/testing).  There's still no support for the
9P2000.u extensions for the p9p applications, but that shouldn't
matter for simple things.

I've been focusing on v9fs stability for normal file systems
(specifically accessing u9fs).  Its fairly easy to regression test for
static file systems using standard benchmarks (bonnie, postmark) or
file system correctness apps like fsx.

I'd like to develop some sort of regression suite against Plan 9 from
Userspace focused on existing apps that really need it (I guess vacfs
is the primary one - although I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of a
test for plumbing and/or acme).  In any case, I can do something
fairly simple right away, but if someone wants to come up with
something that has better coverage of characteristic transactions
we'll start running it as part of the regressions before making new
releases.   Ideally we'd be able to do all the testing without a Plan
9 setup (how close is the Plan 9 ports version of Venti - or am I daft
and its already been available?).

       -eric

* Re: [9fans] vacfs from Plan 9 ports
@ 2005-03-21 15:53     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-03-21 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Van Hensbergen, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> 9 setup (how close is the Plan 9 ports version of Venti - or am I daft
> and its already been available?).

it's pretty close.

russ