* [9fans] Re: Evolving rio / GUI development
@ 2005-03-24  5:58 pac7
From: pac7 @ 2005-03-24  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi!

As an everyday user of Acme (since 2000, or so) I would like to
share some ideas I would like to see in Acme's UI, which I,
nevertheless, like much. Here they are:

-No taglines
-Processes win shows running processes started from Acme (like
uppermost tagline does now) -Special command win shows guide file
with predefined commands; this win is special in that command
2-clicked in this win acts in the last focused win, not in this
one; otherwise, it is a normal window ( perhaps could be also
permanently visible) -Two columns: first contains Command win and
+List win
-Rows instead of columns
-Just a single win visible in the row, others are hidden
-Command ListWin lists open windows in +List win, 3-click on win
name brings it to front, as usually -Moving between wins
(bringing win to the front) using +List win
-No win handle: instead, dirtiness indicator  of any win resizes
both width (of column) and heigth (of individual win, as usually)
-New win created in the row with last win in focus
It could look something like this:
hget http://www.gli.cas.cz/home/cejchan/newacme.pdf | page

One problem: should there be a list of window-specific commands,
e.g. for mail, or so? [No. Guide file should suffice] If we could
get rid of menus in rio, too, wouldn't that be nice?? Perhaps,
having a command-window somewhere [no taglines, please] (Nextstep
had a single menu for all apps; doesn't Mac have it, too? Not
familiar with Mac)

Hope it does not hurt anybody.

Regards,
++pac.

--
! NOVINKA ! -- SURVIVAL L-Carnitin+Chrom -- Zbav se kil a dej se
do formy! http://www.sportwave.cz

* Re: [9fans] Re: Evolving rio / GUI development
@ 2005-03-24  6:08 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-03-24  6:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

a picture may be worth 1000 words,
but code is worth even more.    go for it.

russ

* Re: [9fans] Re: Evolving rio / GUI development
@ 2005-03-04 13:46   ` Brantley Coile
From: Brantley Coile @ 2005-03-04 13:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>>>Old Oberon had it, until it downgraded to a Windozish UI.
>
> yes, i found that change somewhat depressing.

That's what happens when Dr. Wirth went from
the professor state to the emeritus state.  And the
grad students go without adult supervision. : )

 Brantley

* Re: [9fans] Re: Evolving rio / GUI development
@ 2005-03-04 13:44 ` C H Forsyth
From: C H Forsyth @ 2005-03-04 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

@ 2005-03-04 13:39 pac7
From: pac7 @ 2005-03-04 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

>i think the right thing to do is eliminate the menus
> entirely.

Yes! Menus are just crap compared to acme UI. Don't give me
anything I can't change!

>what i'd really like is to be able to move
>windows between rio and acme, not just make them look
> similar.

How about to make everything, incl. graphics,  go to Acme ?? No
joke, really.... Old Oberon had it, until it downgraded to a
Windozish UI.

(out of topic): BTW, mee too is running proudly two machines
(lap- + desktop) natively -- and, hopefully, will ever do so.

++pac

--
Akcni unorova nabidka "3 za cenu 1"! Ziskejte
VOLNY ADSL 512/128 3GB za cenu 1GB!

* [9fans] Re: Evolving rio / GUI development
@ 2005-02-23  7:22 tapique
From: tapique @ 2005-02-23  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> as the experience with international language-less signs suggests, it's
hard to
> design images that convey messages with complete accuracy.

in windoze, i often tend to click on superficially similar icon getting
me somewhere else... its annoying, at least for me. Q: why did mankind abandon
hieroglyphs - because they invented alphabet...

> It must be like Acme without a tagline (and with graffic and WYSIWYG support
;-))
> A textual interface is the most user friendly today (textual != cli).

Absolutely!
Acme+rio could be just fine for the time being.....
IMHO

++pac

Posílejte SMS přes internet zdarma a bez reklamy. Pouze s TISCALI.
Více na http://www.tiscali.cz