* [9fans] audio redirection in linux
@ 2005-07-21 14:56 Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-07-21 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

This is only on-topic insofar as I was reminded of
it by watching Nemo's Plan B video.  And it would
be nice to have in Plan 9 from User Space.

I want to do the equivalent of "bind something /dev/audio".
There just has to be a way to do this on Linux (I'm
also vaguely interested in other Unixes).  I found a
program called vsound that purports to do this but
does so via an LD_PRELOAD library that replaces
open and ioctl and picks off access to /dev/dsp.
This isn't what I had in mind.

Anyone know of real loopback audio devices for
Linux or any other Unix-like system?

Russ

* Re: [9fans] audio redirection in linux
@ 2005-07-21 16:01 ` Gorka guardiola
From: Gorka guardiola @ 2005-07-21 16:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Cox, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

I used esd for that kind of thing some time ago.
You can use it to dial some server on another machine and then
serve a file. I think I would run esd to serve it to the net and esdcat
to dial and serve a pipe, but it was looooong ago, so I am not sure.

--
- curiosity sKilled the cat