* [9fans] p9p on Linux/ppc
@ 2005-08-18 14:58 Anselm R. Garbe
From: Anselm R. Garbe @ 2005-08-18 14:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi there,

I own an iBook/G3 and don't run OS X on it, for reasons I don't need
to mention to you (just have a look into OpenDarwin source and you
understand), thus I run Linux/powerpc (in my case Debian) on it -
which sucks less.

Anyway, the plan9port.tgz don't build on Linux/ppc because there's no
plan9/src/libthread/Linux-power-asm.s file. I have no clue about
PowerPC assembler, thus I tried following trick:

% cd plan9/src/libthread/
% cp  NetBSD-power-asm.s Linux-power-asm.s

Afterwards I rebuild everything and it works well. All tools compile
fine, acme works.
@Russ: I tried several tools, and they didn't crashed, thus I expect
it to be safe to include this trick as mentioned in the p9p
distribution tarball.

Regards,

* Re: [9fans] p9p on Linux/ppc
@ 2005-08-21 20:18 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-08-21 20:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Anyway, the plan9port.tgz don't build on Linux/ppc because there's no
> plan9/src/libthread/Linux-power-asm.s file. I have no clue about
> PowerPC assembler, thus I tried following trick:
>
> % cd plan9/src/libthread/
> % cp  NetBSD-power-asm.s Linux-power-asm.s
>
> Afterwards I rebuild everything and it works well. All tools compile
> fine, acme works.

Fantastic.  Thanks for the report.

Russ