From: Russ Cox <russcox@gmail.com>
To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Q: checking CD vs. iso image
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 08:55:41 -0400	[thread overview]

> Having a way to identify the build date of ISO images would be very
> nice(like what VN does for Inferno images).
>
> Also having the .iso images files accessible with date-based names would
> make it easier to maintain mirrors and point people to known "good"
> images if they have problems with the installation.

You only need a "good" list if "bad" is the norm.
If "bad" is the norm, let's address that instead.

I don't want to save every CD image (they change almost
nightly).  It's a waste of disk space (Venti doesn't help
because the images are compressed and thus share
no common blocks).  VN updates their CDs much less
frequently than we do, so it's not as big a deal for them.

If you're dying to identify an old image, use
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9checksums.txt.

Russ