* [9fans] 9P reading directory contents
@ 2005-09-29 11:02 Anselm R. Garbe
From: Anselm R. Garbe @ 2005-09-29 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi there,

I'm currently implementing a complete 9P file/server stack from
scratch for Unix. I used to connect to acme fileserver for testing my
client implementation. But I ran into a question, which isn't answered
in the manual pages, concerning reading directory contents.

I established a valid connection to the acme server using Tversion,
and Tattach afterwards. Then I tryed two different ways to read the
root directory contents:

1) Topen with root fid and Tread with root fid

This worked as expected

2) Just Tread with root fid

This worked also the same, but I didn't expected that it is possible
to read directory contents without preparing the fid for I/O through
Topen.

Anyone can tell me if this is intended and why?

Regards,

* Re: [9fans] 9P reading directory contents
@ 2005-09-29 14:18 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-09-29 14:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anselm R. Garbe, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> 1) Topen with root fid and Tread with root fid
> This worked as expected

Good.

> 2) Just Tread with root fid
> This worked also the same, but I didn't expected that it is possible
> to read directory contents without preparing the fid for I/O through
> Topen.

Not good.

> Anyone can tell me if this is intended and why?

It's not intended.  It works because acme assumes it is talking
to an honest client, one who would never do (2).  Other servers
do more sanity checking.  Try fossil or the ones based on lib9p.

Russ