* [9fans] Debugging 9load problem
@ 2005-11-07 23:37 Adrian Tritschler
From: Adrian Tritschler @ 2005-11-07 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

For some time I've had to use an ancient version of 9load, since any
time I tried to place a more modern copy into my 9fat partition the
machine refused to boot.  I *think* that its because the plan9 partition
is 15G into the disk, but have no idea how to go about fixing things.

I've built a boot floppy and can boot happily from that to use either
kernel:

bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pcfold
bootfile=sdC0!9fat!9pcf

I would much rather get a working 9fat partition with the new 9load
though.  (especially since the laptop rarely has a floppy drive attached).

The machine has a 15G Windows partition followed by 5G plan9, divided
into the standard 9fat, fossil, swap.  Booting is via the Windows XP
"boot.ini" menu, with an entry to C:\bootsect.p9

thanks,
	Adrian

Adrian Tritschler                          mailto:ajft@ajft.org
Latitude 38°S, Longitude 145°E, Altitude 50m,      Shoe size 44

* Re: [9fans] Debugging 9load problem
@ 2005-11-07 23:46 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-11-07 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> For some time I've had to use an ancient version of 9load, since any
> time I tried to place a more modern copy into my 9fat partition the
> machine refused to boot.  I *think* that its because the plan9 partition
> is 15G into the disk, but have no idea how to go about fixing things.

So if you run an ancient version of 9load in your 9fat then you can
boot from 9fat, but if you replace it with a newer one then you can't?

How old is the 'ancient' 9load?  How big is it?  Can you post your
bootsect.p9 somewhere on the web?

Russ