* [9fans] cdrom drive problems
@ 2005-11-04  1:48 John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2005-11-04  1:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hello everyone.
I've got an old Pentium machine here, and I'm trying to install Plan 9
on it.  It has a hard drive at primary master and a cdrom drive at
secondary master.  When I put in the boot cd (downloaded from the Bell
Labs website) and try to boot, I can get as far as a boot prompt saying
boot devices: fd0
boot from:

After that, no dice.  I've tried the old reliable
"sdD0!cdboot!9pcflop.gz", but I get an error saying that there is no
cdboot partition on the disk.  This same disk loads fine in qemu, so it
is not a burn problem.  Could it be that my IDE controller is simply not
supported?  Would using the 9grid.de iso image help?
Thanks

John Floren
--
http://nuwen.net/~digi/cluster
Jealousy is all the fun you think they have.

* Re: [9fans] cdrom drive problems
@ 2005-11-04 19:39 ` Sergey Zhilkin
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2005-11-04 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Just try the floppy disk from plan9.bell-labs.com<http://plan9.bell-labs.com>:)

@ 2005-11-04 19:45   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2005-11-04 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sergey Zhilkin wrote:
> Just try the floppy disk from plan9.bell-labs.com
> <http://plan9.bell-labs.com> :)
>
> On 11/4/05, *John Floren* < jfloren@moseslake-wa.com
> <mailto:jfloren@moseslake-wa.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello everyone.
>     I've got an old Pentium machine here, and I'm trying to install Plan 9
>     on it.  It has a hard drive at primary master and a cdrom drive at
>     secondary master.  When I put in the boot cd (downloaded from the Bell
>     Labs website) and try to boot, I can get as far as a boot prompt saying
>     boot devices: fd0
>     boot from:
>
>     After that, no dice.  I've tried the old reliable
>     "sdD0!cdboot!9pcflop.gz", but I get an error saying that there is no
>     cdboot partition on the disk.  This same disk loads fine in qemu, so it
>     is not a burn problem.  Could it be that my IDE controller is simply not
>     supported?  Would using the 9grid.de <http://9grid.de> iso image help?
>     Thanks
>
>     John Floren
>     --
>     http://nuwen.net/~digi/cluster
>     Jealousy is all the fun you think they have.

Problem is locating a floppy disk :-)

--
http://nuwen.net/~digi/cluster
Every journalist has a novel in him, which is an excellent place for it.

* Re: [9fans] cdrom drive problems
@ 2005-11-06  7:45     ` Sergey Zhilkin
From: Sergey Zhilkin @ 2005-11-06  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://plan9.bell-labs.com/magic/9down4e/reg?exportok=yes&name=&company=&email=
Download :) Go to the shop and buy floppy disks :)

@ 2005-11-07 23:53   ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2005-11-07 23:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Sergey Zhilkin wrote:
> Just try the floppy disk from plan9.bell-labs.com
> <http://plan9.bell-labs.com> :)

I just thought of this... if I have to boot the installer from a floppy,
will I have to boot the system (once installed) from a floppy as well?
If 9load or whatever it is can't handle booting from CDROM, will it work
with my hard drive?

John
--
http://nuwen.net/~digi/cluster
That's no moon...

* Re: [9fans] cdrom drive problems
@ 2005-11-08  0:06     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-11-08  0:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> I just thought of this... if I have to boot the installer from a floppy,
> will I have to boot the system (once installed) from a floppy as well?
> If 9load or whatever it is can't handle booting from CDROM, will it work
> with my hard drive?

It's very common for 9load to have trouble with
recognizing certain CDROMs.  It has no such trouble
with IDE disks.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] cdrom drive problems
@ 2005-11-08  0:44       ` John Floren
From: John Floren @ 2005-11-08  0:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Russ Cox wrote:
>>I just thought of this... if I have to boot the installer from a floppy,
>>will I have to boot the system (once installed) from a floppy as well?
>>If 9load or whatever it is can't handle booting from CDROM, will it work
>>with my hard drive?
>

> It's very common for 9load to have trouble with
> recognizing certain CDROMs.  It has no such trouble
> with IDE disks.
>
> Russ
>
> .

It has been unable to recognize either of the two CDROM drives I've
tried... could it be that my IDE controller is the problem?

John
--
http://nuwen.net/~digi/cluster
That's no moon...

* Re: [9fans] cdrom drive problems
@ 2005-11-08  0:58         ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2005-11-08  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> It has been unable to recognize either of the two CDROM drives I've
> tried... could it be that my IDE controller is the problem?

Sure, but the problems are always with detecting the CDROM,
not detecting the hard disks (they are completely different things
as far as the IDE controllers are concerned).

Just try the boot floppy.

Russ