* [9fans] assert(*norealmode || *nomp)?
@ 2006-07-20 21:12 Dave Eckhardt
From: Dave Eckhardt @ 2006-07-20 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Am I right in believing that due to the
proliferation of single-processor
motherboards with APICs that it's generally
advisable for x86 machines to have either
  *norealmode=
or
  *nomp=
in PLAN9.INI?  Should the realmode code
reject attempts to use it if the kernel
has already gone down the APIC path?
Are there other things (APM?) which should
disable themselves?

Dave Eckhardt

P.S. Russ, thanks again for the VESA vga
driver.  Nothing's perfect but this thing
is sure useful.

* Re: [9fans] assert(*norealmode || *nomp)?
@ 2006-07-20 22:10 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-07-20 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David.Eckhardt, Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Am I right in believing that due to the
> proliferation of single-processor
> motherboards with APICs that it's generally
> advisable for x86 machines to have either
>   *norealmode=
> or
>   *nomp=
> in PLAN9.INI?

No.  The E820 scanner uses realmode and works
fine even on multiprocessors.

> Should the realmode code
> reject attempts to use it if the kernel
> has already gone down the APIC path?
> Are there other things (APM?) which should
> disable themselves?

Why would it be incompatible with APICs?
When we go to real mode we turn off interrupts
on the local processor.

Russ