* Re: [9fans] Simple plumbing
@ 2006-07-28 16:21 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-07-28 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

try
	plumb start window rc -c 'ls $dir'

- erik

* [9fans] Simple plumbing
@ 2006-07-28 16:24 Robert Hibberdine
From: Robert Hibberdine @ 2006-07-28 16:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi all,

I've just started to play around with the plumber. As a simple
experiment I thought I'd write a plumbing rule that simply listed
directories; ie when you 'plumb' text that is a  directory name then it
lists the contents of that directory in your shell window.
It's the last part I'm having problems with. If I just have

  plumb start ls $dir

then the result is written by the background rc (the one that starts
when you boot) and not the relevant window.

I have tried  various combinations of 'start' 'client' and 'window'
without success :-) .

Is it possible to do this in this way?

Many thanks

Bob

* Re: [9fans] Simple plumbing
@ 2006-07-28 17:03 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2006-07-28 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

The plumber has no access to the window where
you are running the plumb command.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Simple plumbing
@ 2006-07-28 17:16     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2006-07-28 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

after the ls is done, then rc exits.  what do you want it to do?
you could try:
	plumb start window rc -c 'ls $dir ; sleep 10'

or if you're feeling sneaky
	plumb start window rc -c 'ls $dir ; flag i + ; . /rc/lib/rcmain'

i think you need to replace $dir with $0.

- erik

On Fri Jul 28 12:18:57 CDT 2006, bob.hibberdine@ntlworld.com wrote:
> erik quanstrom wrote:
>
> >try
> >	plumb start window rc -c 'ls $dir'
> >
> >- erik
> >

> Thanks.
> I tried that and it seems that a terminal window flashes up and
> disappears really quickly.
> Maybe I have to write some plumber client to do this correctly???
>
> Bob

* Re: [9fans] Simple plumbing
@ 2006-07-28 17:17   ` Robert Hibberdine
From: Robert Hibberdine @ 2006-07-28 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)