* [9fans] IPv6 router advertisements
@ 2007-01-17 20:06 Claudio Leite
From: Claudio Leite @ 2007-01-17 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi-
 I have a cpu server running in Xen which I'd like to ipv6-ify. The
network it's on has an ipv6 router (through freenet6) that sends router
advertisements. The Linux domU I set up works perfectly this way. I'm
not exactly sure of the status of IPv6 in Plan 9, but assuming it works,
how do I make it listen for these advertisements?

 I tried
   echo 'setpar6 recvra 1' >/net/ipifc/1/ctl,

which changes the flag in /net/ipifc/1/status, but doesn't seem to
solicit an advertisement. Hence, there is no address set.

Thanks.
-Claudio

* Re: [9fans] IPv6 router advertisements
@ 2007-01-17 21:37 ` geoff
From: geoff @ 2007-01-17 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

IPv6 does work in Plan 9; until I moved, I was running a small home
network of Plan 9 systems, a couple of Macs and an OpenBSD firewall
that all spoke IPv4 and IPv6 (except ken's file server; I don't think
ILv6 was ever defined).  I had a tunnel to one of the free IPv6 tunnel
brokers (it moved as I found out which ones couldn't sustain a
tunnel).

Having said that, we need a few more user-mode daemons to make IPv6
run smoothly.  There are ipconfig6 and ping6 programs that aren't yet
on sources.  ndb/cs knows how to place IPv6 calls and ndb/dns
understands IPv6 addresses, so it's possible to configure the whole
thing by hand, given ipconfig6.  We don't have fancy route
advertisement daemons and the like yet.

* Re: [9fans] IPv6 router advertisements
@ 2007-01-18 13:44   ` Claudio Leite
From: Claudio Leite @ 2007-01-18 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

* geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com (geoff@plan9.bell-labs.com) wrote:
> Having said that, we need a few more user-mode daemons to make IPv6
> run smoothly.  There are ipconfig6 and ping6 programs that aren't yet
> on sources.  ndb/cs knows how to place IPv6 calls and ndb/dns
> understands IPv6 addresses, so it's possible to configure the whole
> thing by hand, given ipconfig6.  We don't have fancy route
> advertisement daemons and the like yet.

It seems drawterm doesn't know about IPv6 yet, either, so I suppose it'd
be rather useless to me at the point. Basically, I'd like to make it
easier to access a Plan 9 machine that is behind a NAT in IPv4 but which
has its own v6 address. I wonder, how difficult would it be to v6-ify
drawterm? I might spring up to that task.

@ 2007-01-18 13:57     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-01-18 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> It seems drawterm doesn't know about IPv6 yet, either, so I suppose it'd
> be rather useless to me at the point. Basically, I'd like to make it
> easier to access a Plan 9 machine that is behind a NAT in IPv4 but which
> has its own v6 address. I wonder, how difficult would it be to v6-ify
> drawterm? I might spring up to that task.

It should not be hard.  It's just another BSD sockets program.