From: "Russ Cox" <rsc@swtch.com>
To: "Adriano Verardo" <a.verardo@tecmav.com>
Cc: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs <9fans@cse.psu.edu>
Subject: Re: [9fans] Questions about FreeBSD p9p
Date: Wed,  7 Feb 2007 12:35:25 -0500	[thread overview]

> Q.1
> duke% export NAMESPACE=/home/adriano/NS
> duke% factotum
> duke% 9fs milagro
> duke% 9 mount NS/milagro mil
> factotoum ok, with/without secstore.
> mount ok.

When you run 9fs, you should be prompted for
a user name and password to use.  Are you being prompted?

> duke% echo ciaociao > mil/usr/adriano/ciao
> bash: mil/usr/adriano/ciao: Permissione denied

try:

   echo hi | 9p write milagro/usr/adriano/ciao

that will cut FUSE out of the loop, just to make things
a little simpler.

> Q.2
>
> duke% 9p -a milagro -A main/archive <cmd>
>
> Ok for all <cmd>s, I see, read etc milagro's archive.
>
> How can I mount main/{archive,snapshot} on a duke's directory ?
> In P9P doc I've not found how to issue a command like
> "mount /srv/fossil /n/arc main/archive".
> My mistake or feature intentionally not implemented (or not implemented
> yet)?

Just not implemented.  It should be, it isn't.
You can use this as a workaround:

  srv -a -A main/archive milagro milagro-dump
  9 mount `namespace`/milagro-dump /dump

> Q.3
>
> All tests done using the raw char console (no X)
> produce the expected network traffic.
>
> Under X + KDE there is a continuous, unsolicited, net activity
> which stops dismounting the Plan9 file server (milagro)
> or stopping X without dimounting milagro.
> This is independent on the environment from which milagro has been
> mounted (char console or X-KDE).
> I tried all command sequences to have both milagro mounted and KDE
> running, but the final behaviour is always the same.
>
> Where/what am I mistaking ?

There is probably some KDE daemon running in the background
that is excited about a new drive being mounted and is scanning it.
("Modern" X window managers like KDE and GNOME just do this
sort of thing, ostensibly to make your life better, though that's
rarely the effect.)  You might try running

  lsof | grep mil/

to find out which programs are holding open references to milagro.
You might also be able use "umount -f" to force an unmount.

Russ