* [9fans] replica/updatedb
@ 2007-03-07 13:47 erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2007-03-07 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

i'm using updatedb on two successive days in a dump
where $path on day n-1 was a file and $path on day n
was a directory.  updatedb generates an 'm' (modified
stat) line for this case.  this seems wrong to me.
i would think that it should generate a 'd' (delete) followed
by a 'c'  (create) pair.  although i'm sure an argument could
be made the other way.

i'm leaning toward changing updatedb.  is there a better
argument for fixing the consumer?

- erik

* Re: [9fans] replica/updatedb
@ 2007-03-07 16:00 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-03-07 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 3/7/07, erik quanstrom <quanstro@coraid.com> wrote:
> i'm using updatedb on two successive days in a dump
> where $path on day n-1 was a file and $path on day n
> was a directory.  updatedb generates an 'm' (modified
> stat) line for this case.  this seems wrong to me.
> i would think that it should generate a 'd' (delete) followed
> by a 'c'  (create) pair.  although i'm sure an argument could
> be made the other way.
>
> i'm leaning toward changing updatedb.  is there a better
> argument for fixing the consumer?

you should fix updatedb.  if this had happened on sources
then you would need to fix applylog too, since lots of people
would need to be able to apply the existing log.

russ