* [9fans] rdbfs issues
@ 2007-03-21  1:30 Don Bailey
From: Don Bailey @ 2007-03-21  1:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,
	I'm attempting to use rdbfs to debug my CPU server via my diskless
terminal. The main problem (I'm sure there will be others) is that my
serial line seems to be hung up. I get no data in either direction after
^T^TD.

I run the typical:
	rdbfs -p 999
	acid -k 999 /path/to/kernel
	(the above is typed on the term prior to ^T^TD on the CPU)

I also tried:
	echo b9600 > '#t/eia0ctl'

on both ends before attempting to use rdbfs.

Any ideas?

Don

* Re: [9fans] rdbfs issues
@ 2007-03-25 14:25 ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-03-25 14:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 3/20/07, Don Bailey <don.bailey@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>         I'm attempting to use rdbfs to debug my CPU server via my diskless
> terminal. The main problem (I'm sure there will be others) is that my
> serial line seems to be hung up. I get no data in either direction after
> ^T^TD.
>
> I run the typical:
>         rdbfs -p 999
>         acid -k 999 /path/to/kernel
>         (the above is typed on the term prior to ^T^TD on the CPU)
>
> I also tried:
>         echo b9600 > '#t/eia0ctl'
>
> on both ends before attempting to use rdbfs.
>
> Any ideas?

Do you have console=0 in your plan9.ini?

Russ

* Re: [9fans] rdbfs issues
@ 2007-03-25 14:45   ` Don Bailey
From: Don Bailey @ 2007-03-25 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> Do you have console=0 in your plan9.ini?

Yea, I'm a complete maroon. I forgot all about that. I misinterpreted
the manual which says "plan9 automatically initializes serial devices
on boot" into thinking it meant "this automatically gives you a
console".

Thanks,
Don

* Re: [9fans] rdbfs issues
@ 2007-03-25 22:58     ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2007-03-25 22:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 3/25/07, Don Bailey <don.bailey@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Do you have console=0 in your plan9.ini?
> >
> Yea, I'm a complete maroon. I forgot all about that. I misinterpreted
> the manual which says "plan9 automatically initializes serial devices
> on boot" into thinking it meant "this automatically gives you a
> console".

The remote debugger really should tell you when
there is no console.  It's a bug that it doesn't.

Russ