* Re: [9fans] Changing ownership of files or chown is missing
       [not found] <CAM8pOuPiu5nG9dX7ij6kDJpBGmqBCvX2PRT5yiu9iAoEWzUXww@mail.gmail.c>
@ 2012-05-20 16:41 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2012-05-20 16:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun May 20 10:44:12 EDT 2012, burton.samograd@gmail.com wrote:
> I had hg complaining about the owner of the system wide hgrc on 9front so
> I did what I thought was most obvious and tried a chown of the file.  No chown.
> So I did a google and found that plan9 doesn't have chown or anything like chown
> because that concept doesn't exist on plan9.  This seems a bit funny
> since an ls -l
> shows me file owners and groups.  I got around not having chown by copying the
> file and then moving it over the original file.
>
> Could somebody explain to me why there is no concept of chown on plan9 and what
> is the plan9 way around changing the owners and groups of files?  Thanks.

iirc, add this to your system-wide hgrc and it'll shut up.

[ui]
reportoldssl = False
report_untrusted = False

* Re: [9fans] Changing ownership of files or chown is missing
@ 2012-05-20 18:07 ` Anthony Sorace
From: Anthony Sorace @ 2012-05-20 18:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On May 20, 2012, at 10:43 , Burton Samograd wrote:

> Could somebody explain to me why there is no concept of
> chown on plan9 and what is the plan9 way around changing
> the owners and groups of files?  Thanks.

it's simply not part of the model. we tend to use groups for many
things modern unixes use "special" users for. also our tools tend
to be less paranoid about such things.

you've discovered the most general-purpose alternative already:
copy the file. if you need something beyond that, you need to be
on the file server console (wstat, or srv a permissive version of
the tree).

anthony

[-- Attachment #2: Message signed with OpenPGP using GPGMail --]

* Re: [9fans] Changing ownership of files or chown is missing
@ 2012-05-20 17:44 ` David du Colombier
From: David du Colombier @ 2012-05-20 17:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Could somebody explain to me why there is no concept of chown on
> plan9 and what is the plan9 way around changing the owners and groups
> of files?  Thanks.

You could use the "chgrp -u" command, but it will only
work if you mounted the file system allowing arbitrary
changes with wstat. The Fossil "srv" and "open" commands
take the "-W" parameter to do that.

Alternatively, you can use the "wstat" command in
your file system console.

--
David du Colombier

* Re: [9fans] Changing ownership of files or chown is missing
@ 2012-05-20 14:54 ` Connor Lane Smith
From: Connor Lane Smith @ 2012-05-20 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hey,

On 20 May 2012 15:43, Burton Samograd <burton.samograd@gmail.com> wrote:
> Could somebody explain to me why there is no concept of chown on plan9 and what
> is the plan9 way around changing the owners and groups of files?  Thanks.

I think you're looking for chgrp -u.

cls

* [9fans] Changing ownership of files or chown is missing
@ 2012-05-20 14:43 Burton Samograd
                   ` (2 more replies)