* [9fans] cpu command and 9660srv
@ 2004-05-21  7:21 Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-05-21  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

When multiple users are using each different CDROM
on their own terminal, and want to make their calculation
faster, and also use their cdoms on the cpu environment, too.

In the present 9660srv command, only one user can use
/srv/9660, and then, mount his cdrom to cpu server.
How can I change this situation to those described above.
ie,

1) multiple users are using individual cdroms on each terminal
2) multiple users use the same cpu server and their cdrom in
this situation.

Kenji

* Re: [9fans] cpu command and 9660srv
@ 2004-05-21  8:02 ` lucio
From: lucio @ 2004-05-21  8:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> In the present 9660srv command, only one user can use
> /srv/9660, and then, mount his cdrom to cpu server.
> How can I change this situation to those described above.
> ie,

You can load multiple copies of 9660srv, just specify the target /srv/
name for it (see the synopsis in the man page).  I have had cause to
do this on occasion.

In general, though, you can use the same /srv/9660 for multiple
devices/images unless they can't locate the image in their namespace.
I am somewhat foggy about permissions, I have to admit.

++L

* Re: [9fans] cpu command and 9660srv
@ 2004-05-21  8:11   ` Charles Forsyth
From: Charles Forsyth @ 2004-05-21  8:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> In the present 9660srv command, only one user can use
> /srv/9660, and then, mount his cdrom to cpu server.
> How can I change this situation to those described above.
> ie,

9660srv 9660.$user
mount /srv/9660.$user /somewhere mydevice

even so, if you run 9660srv on the terminal, and mount it
somewhere before typing cpu, the cpu will have access
to the data through /mnt/term, and you can bind /mnt/term/n/cd /n/cd
on the cpu to make access more convenient.

* Re: [9fans] cpu command and 9660srv
@ 2004-05-21  8:43     ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-05-21  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Thanks Charles,

> 9660srv 9660.$user
> mount /srv/9660.$user /somewhere mydevice

This is easier for our purpose, because users don't need to have knowledge
of Plan 9.   Additionaly, easy to make it a scripted command.   A disadvantage
is we cannot exit from cpu command without killing the 9660srv.$user process.

> even so, if you run 9660srv on the terminal, and mount it
> somewhere before typing cpu, the cpu will have access
> to the data through /mnt/term, and you can bind /mnt/term/n/cd /n/cd
> on the cpu to make access more convenient.

to bind the /mnt/term/n directory to /n?
Why the cpu command doesn't this?

@ 2004-05-21  9:16       ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-05-21  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> to bind the /mnt/term/n directory to /n?
> Why the cpu command doesn't this?

Sorry, it was easy to solve.
Add a line to the cpu part of lib/profile.
	bind -a /mnt/term/c/cdrom /n/cdrom

This is a more beatiful solution, I got.

@ 2004-05-21  9:41         ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-05-21  9:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Aha, I forgot to say that the Fossil+Venti file server
+ standalone auth server worked fine for 5 users.
We had no problem and even felt no stress to use this
Plan 9 system for 5 terminals.   It may not be so LARGE
numbers though.

@ 2004-05-24  1:54         ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-05-24  1:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Add a line to the cpu part of lib/profile.
> 	bind -a /mnt/term/c/cdrom /n/cdrom

	if (! ~ `{ls /mnt/term/n/cdrom | wc -l} '      0')
		bind -a /mnt/term/n/cdrom /n/cdrom

shuld be better...

By the way, I forgot to mention that our new Plan 9 network
works very fine for 5 terminals with no stress to use at a time.
We use Venti+Fossil file server (1.6GHz Pen4, 1GB memory,
and 120GB (for main) + 40GB (for other) IDE disks.   This file
server is dedicated only for the file server, we have other machines
for CPU servers and an Auth server (CF based kfs).

@ 2004-05-27  2:47           ` Kenji Okamoto
From: Kenji Okamoto @ 2004-05-27  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> By the way, I forgot to mention that our new Plan 9 network
> works very fine for 5 terminals with no stress to use at a time.
> We use Venti+Fossil file server (1.6GHz Pen4, 1GB memory,
> and 120GB (for main) + 40GB (for other) IDE disks.

Oops!

120GB for venti only, and 40GB for fossil+cache+9fat+other.

Sorry.

Kenji