From: "Douglas A. Gwyn" <DAGwyn@null.net>
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] spam rejection after reception does have limits
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 09:13:52 +0000	[thread overview]

Lucio De Re wrote:
> Choate suggests legal recourse, within the existing system.  Again,
> harrassment could be used, I think it would work if one could target
> the perpetrator rather than some innocent, unwitting victim.

Not really, since perpetrators can spring up so much more
quickly than the legal system can move to punish them.
If you think that "setting an example" would help much,
look at previous prosecution of hackers and see what a
deterrent it was.

> 	- Legacy: can't be helped, that's where the problem lies
> 	in the first place.

Indeed, if you want to leave your mailbox open to receive
mail from people using other systems, you're stuck,
because there is no reliable way to distinguish between
legitimate mail and proxy mail.  The only technical fix
for that would have to be at those systems, which need to
stop acting on directions received remotely.