Bumping the RAM to 1GB did nothing, but switching to the 7/3 iso worked.  Thanks! On July 23, 2013 at 10:08:38 PM, erik quanstrom (quanstro@quanstro.net) wrote: > I've tried 3 different VMs (VirtualBox, VMWare, QEMU), but I'm getting the same install error each time. > > The Live CD seems to die with: > > kfs 4: suicide: sys: trap: fault read addr=0x39000 pc=0x00038fa0 > > Im using this iso: > > http://plan9.bell-labs.com/plan9/download/plan9.iso.bz2 > > Should I be using something else? assuming that pc's not bogus and there isn't anything else afoot, like a broken image (i don't think my kfs neé bzfs matches up and the version in the dist kernel is stripped), 0x39000 is the next page after the current pc, so unless the bss is 0 bytes, 0x39000 must be a valid page. so one assumes there is some other reason for a fault. either there is a bug, or perhaps a memory allocation failure for page tables caught the kernel out. i would try bumping the image memory to at least 512mb. good luck. - erik