* [9fans] acmetags
@ 2014-11-30 17:06 Mathieu Lonjaret
From: Mathieu Lonjaret @ 2014-11-30 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Hi,

I usually keep most of my build/run/test workflow as tags on my acme
"win" windows. But acme dumps do not save tags, and I sometimes don't
save them in a guide file (because I forget when I reboot, or I close
acme inadvertently, or in rare occasions because acme dies). So I've
finally written a little tool to cope with that, and it's here
https://github.com/mpl/acmetags in case anyone is interested. I'll
probably run it in a cron or something.

As usual, kudos to the acme authors and to Russ for the acme pkg which
made this so easy to write.

Cheers,
Mathieu

* Re: [9fans] acmetags
@ 2014-11-30 17:19 ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-11-30 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

On Sun Nov 30 09:03:42 PST 2014, mathieu.lonjaret@gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I usually keep most of my build/run/test workflow as tags on my acme
> "win" windows. But acme dumps do not save tags, and I sometimes don't
> save them in a guide file (because I forget when I reboot, or I close
> acme inadvertently, or in rare occasions because acme dies). So I've
> finally written a little tool to cope with that, and it's here
> https://github.com/mpl/acmetags in case anyone is interested. I'll
> probably run it in a cron or something.
>
> As usual, kudos to the acme authors and to Russ for the acme pkg which
> made this so easy to write.

the 9atom version of acme does do this.  it's pretty easy code to copy,
i just haven't done it yet.  the other thing missing from p9p acme that
i notice is the ability to middle click on the column blue square and have
the column resize in width, as frames already do in height.  (only in
9atom, not labs.)

- erik

* Re: [9fans] acmetags
@ 2014-11-30 17:39   ` Mathieu Lonjaret
From: Mathieu Lonjaret @ 2014-11-30 17:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 30 November 2014 at 18:19, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
> On Sun Nov 30 09:03:42 PST 2014, mathieu.lonjaret@gmail.com wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I usually keep most of my build/run/test workflow as tags on my acme
>> "win" windows. But acme dumps do not save tags, and I sometimes don't
>> save them in a guide file (because I forget when I reboot, or I close
>> acme inadvertently, or in rare occasions because acme dies). So I've
>> finally written a little tool to cope with that, and it's here
>> https://github.com/mpl/acmetags in case anyone is interested. I'll
>> probably run it in a cron or something.
>>
>> As usual, kudos to the acme authors and to Russ for the acme pkg which
>> made this so easy to write.
>
> the 9atom version of acme does do this.

Ah yeah, forgot to precise it was for p9p, thanks.

> it's pretty easy code to copy,
> i just haven't done it yet.  the other thing missing from p9p acme that
> i notice is the ability to middle click on the column blue square and have
> the column resize in width, as frames already do in height.  (only in
> 9atom, not labs.)

Wow, yes. I often wish I could do something like that and I didn't
even know it existed in any of the acme "versions". You have my thanks
in advance if that makes it into p9p. :-)

> - erik

* Re: [9fans] acmetags
@ 2014-11-30 17:45     ` erik quanstrom
From: erik quanstrom @ 2014-11-30 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> Wow, yes. I often wish I could do something like that and I didn't
> even know it existed in any of the acme "versions". You have my thanks
> in advance if that makes it into p9p. :-)

the one thing it hasn't got is resizable tags.  my feeling is that it would
be easier and better to extend acme a bit to allow one to build a frame
like the same command window.  might be nice for programs connecting
like this to be able to intercept and or generate resize commands.

- erik

* Re: [9fans] acmetags
@ 2014-12-01 10:01 ` Kostarev Ilya
From: Kostarev Ilya @ 2014-12-01 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

and I sometimes don't
save them in a guide file
	Kinda off-topic, acme(1) from Plan9 man has section about guide files. p9p acme(1) hasn’t that, but I see rudimentary code in acme.c and win.c dealing with ‘/guide’ Rune in p9p repo. What’s the reason of this code? Can I use guide files in some special manner on p9p?

Regards, Ilya.

* Re: [9fans] acmetags
@ 2014-12-03 13:22     ` yy
From: yy @ 2014-12-03 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

On 30 November 2014 at 18:39, Mathieu Lonjaret
<mathieu.lonjaret@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 30 November 2014 at 18:19, erik quanstrom <quanstro@quanstro.net> wrote:
>> it's pretty easy code to copy,
>> i just haven't done it yet.  the other thing missing from p9p acme that
>> i notice is the ability to middle click on the column blue square and have
>> the column resize in width, as frames already do in height.  (only in
>> 9atom, not labs.)
>
> Wow, yes. I often wish I could do something like that and I didn't
> even know it existed in any of the acme "versions". You have my thanks
> in advance if that makes it into p9p. :-)

The patched version of acme in my contrib does that too. It also
allows you to increase the size with B1 and maximize with B3 (both of
these I found more useful than the B2's one). There are other changes
too, which you can see at:
http://plan9.bell-labs.com/sources/contrib/yiyus/cmd/acme/README

Although it is a feature I miss sometimes, I did not miss it as much
as to port it to p9p's acme (which is the one I use most of the time).
But if you want to give it a try, it will probably be trivial.

--
- yiyus || JGL .