* [9fans] Acme and unicode
@ 2008-05-14 14:44 hugo rivera
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: hugo rivera @ 2008-05-14 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

Hi guys:
I hope this is not a very silly question, but I do not remember how to
write unicode characters in Acme. I am using plan 9 from user space on
FreeBSD.
As far as I remember, it was something like Alt+X SOME_NUMBER, but
this does not work.

Saludos

Hugo

* Re: [9fans] Acme and unicode
@ 2008-05-14 14:49 ` a
From: a @ 2008-05-14 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

keyboard(7) (keyboard(6) on plan 9). lots of shortcuts for
specific things, but alt+x+1234 should produce glyphs.
see also $PLAN9/lib/keyboard.

[-- Attachment #2: Type: message/rfc822, Size: 2088 bytes --]

From: "hugo rivera" <uair00@gmail.com>
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: [9fans] Acme and unicode
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 16:44:30 +0200

@ 2008-05-14 14:52 ` andrey mirtchovski
From: andrey mirtchovski @ 2008-05-14 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

http://swtch.com/plan9port/man/man7/keyboard.html

On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 8:44 AM, hugo rivera <uair00@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys:
>  I hope this is not a very silly question, but I do not remember how to
>  write unicode characters in Acme. I am using plan 9 from user space on
>  FreeBSD.
>  As far as I remember, it was something like Alt+X SOME_NUMBER, but
>  this does not work.
>
>  Saludos
>
>  Hugo

* Re: [9fans] Acme and unicode
@ 2008-05-14 14:53 ` Skip Tavakkolian
From: Skip Tavakkolian @ 2008-05-14 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

/lib/keyboard (or $PLAN9/lib/keyboard in your case).

> Hi guys:
> I hope this is not a very silly question, but I do not remember how to
> write unicode characters in Acme. I am using plan 9 from user space on
> FreeBSD.
> As far as I remember, it was something like Alt+X SOME_NUMBER, but
> this does not work.
>
> Saludos
>
> Hugo

* Re: [9fans] Acme and unicode
@ 2008-05-14 20:50   ` Russ Cox
From: Russ Cox @ 2008-05-14 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

> keyboard(7) (keyboard(6) on plan 9). lots of shortcuts for
> specific things, but alt+x+1234 should produce glyphs.
> see also $PLAN9/lib/keyboard.

It is perhaps worth pointing out that in Plan 9
(and in Plan 9 from User Space), Alt is just a
key like any other, not a modifier like Shift:
you don't have to hold it down through the entire
sequence.  It is also perhaps worth pointing out
that the letter must be a capital X.

So you can type Alt, X, 2, 6, 3, a to get ☺.

Russ

* Re: [9fans] Acme and unicode
@ 2008-05-14 23:00     ` John Stalker
From: John Stalker @ 2008-05-14 23:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

> It is perhaps worth pointing out that in Plan 9
> (and in Plan 9 from User Space), Alt is just a=20
> key like any other, not a modifier like Shift:
> you don't have to hold it down through the entire
> sequence.

Thanks.  I never noticed that.  Since I need Alt-*
a lot that is very helpful to know.
--
John Stalker
School of Mathematics

* Re: [9fans] Acme and unicode
@ 2008-05-15  9:40       ` hugo rivera
From: hugo rivera @ 2008-05-15  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fans of the OS Plan 9 from Bell Labs

Thanks a lot for your help, I am not sure what I was doing, but now
everything is ok.
Saludos

Hugo