sounds like we're screwing up reading the keyboard, i.e., we're seeing a continuous stream of characters in 9load. It also seems like we're finding a different plan9.ini than you included in the message. The Selection: prompt appears only if you have a [menu] directive in the plan9.ini. I forget the exact ordering of where we get plan9.ini from these days. I do know that we look first on the floppy, and then in some order on the DOS partition for the hard disk and in the 9fat partition on the hard disk. Do you have another plan9.ini hiding somewhere from a previous version of plan 9?