* [9fans] parallel systems
@ 2009-10-28 19:08 Sam Watkins
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Sam Watkins @ 2009-10-28 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 9fans

I think my main points were good.

  * can parallelize by duplicating subsystems / divide and conquer
  * can parallelize by pipelining, even down to the arithmetic level
  * latency is limited by Ahmdal's law, potential throughput should not be
  * multi-tasking can potentially use close to the full power of a system

A factory is a parallel system.  A car factory can come close to fully
utilizing thousands of human and robot workers.

I think well-designed parallel systems can efficiently solve many laborious
computing problems.  Invocations of Ahmdal have not convinced me otherwise.

Sam

[parent not found: <<20091028190823.GA2378@nipl.net>]