From: lucio@proxima.alt.za
To: 9fans@cse.psu.edu
Subject: Re: [9fans] Alef - run time error
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2007 18:58:47 +0200	[thread overview]

> the pc address space got bigger in 2005 so that programs could
> use more than 2gb of memory.  the top of the stack is now
> 0xdffff000 instead of 0x7ffff000, so if you s/0x7/0xd/ you
> will probably be okay.

Thank you very much, that worked fine, which is OK at least to test
the compiler.

>   it would be even better if _main looked
> at its stack pointer and anded off some bits, so that those
> weren't hard-coded.

If you know a quick way to inspect the stack pointer, rather than me
having to dig for it, I'll fix it with pleasure.  Alternatively, if
you know where I ought to look, please point me there.  Oh, yes,
please also explain what "and"ing off a few bits means, unless you
mean that by trimming the incoming stack pointer I'll get a reasonable
value for a private copy.  That would make just about as much sense as
I can grasp.

Mind you, I presume the "C" runtime plays such a trick if you suggest
it, should I look at those sources and where are they, as specific as
you can be?

> power didn't move, and mips and sparc aren't in the main tree anymore.

I can't test any of them, unfortunately, but I'll make a note of your
comments.  It saddens me that we're losing scope like this, but it's
inevitable, I suppose.

Thanks again, Russ.

++L