From: lucio@proxima.alt.za
To: 9fans@9fans.net
Subject: Re: [9fans] An Important Node
Date: Wed,  5 May 2010 14:08:00 +0200	[thread overview]

> ... and that's all she wrote.

Hm, you also added an entry for officejet5610 in /sys/lib/lp/devices,
I presume, as I have nonesuch.  But that's to be expected.  What I
find ultimately disappoining is that I can't get the parallel port on
my server to behave in any reasonable way.

The man pages seem to lie, because they state that:

	The specifiers 1, 2, and 3
	correspond to the parallel interfaces at PC ports 0x3bc,
	0x378, and 0x278 respectively.

whereas it seems that lpt1 is at 0x378.  I don't have the patience to
try all possible combinations.  I know that trying 0x3bc failed
spectacularly, as opposed to 0x378, where the readable registers
return resonable values, but the data port triggers an error message:

	% echo sadfasjdfhgakjsdfhgsakj > /dev/lpt1data
	echo: write error: i/o error

...  no matter the print device setting: I did try each of SPP, EPP,
ECP and ECP+EPP.  Is this bit rot in the printer driver or mere
ignorance on my part?

++L

PS: I also tried USB to drive the printer with equally little success,
but I find that easier to forgive.  And for those who have read this
far, I also found that disconnecting devices from the USB port on the
Sheevaplug cause the (USB outwards) console to disconnect, which
smacks of something being overlooked rather than an unsurmountable
obstacle.